Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 04:30 PM

Re: Does anyone else have an Amazon Echo?

Originally Posted by Jack Dawkins ->
But I can find the answer to a lot of questions simply by asking Alexa without leaving my desk or clicking on buttons or typing. So basically it's simply an even quicker and more convenient way of getting information.
You can do all that on a phone without touching it, clicking any buttons or pressing anything.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2018, 05:41 PM

Santa brought one for my daughter last Christmas.
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

27-08-2018, 06:18 PM

I'm still trying to work out why on earth anyone would want one...
Jack Dawkins
London
Jack Dawkins is male  Jack Dawkins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan2 ->
I'm still trying to work out why on earth anyone would want one...
Because ,dear, it's like a good woman. Useful and fun to talk to as well. And, I should add, knows everything.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 06:35 PM

Alexa is geared and designed to get you to buy Amazon goods and services. Google is better; it's music service is free once you've uploaded all your songs.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

14-09-2018, 07:19 PM

I've had an about turn and bought an echo spot for my bedside table. Probably the best alarm clock in the world. I love the different clock faces and how they dim and turn green, yellow, orange, blue or red during the night. Plus I find it convenient for finding the weather from my bed. Plus, effectively it's an internet radio with it's TuneIn radio compatibility. I wouldn't bother with Amazon music but do have a skill that plays nature sounds to help me relax at night.

I also enjoy the BBC video of the news. Quite short but you wouldn't want to be watching too much video on a round screen. And it's handy to ask any question I want. The 4 microphones are very good and it picks up my voice where my phones wouldn't unless they were very close to me.

It's geared towards getting you to use Amazon's services and buying things but I have the purchasing options all switched off as it's highly customisable.

If I want to buy anything from Amazon I do it from my laptop, careful not to hit the all-too-easy subscribe to Amazon Prime boxes. And I don't have my debit card stored on my Amazon account, anyway.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I've had an about turn and bought an echo spot for my bedside table. Probably the best alarm clock in the world. I love the different clock faces and how they dim and turn green, yellow, orange, blue or red during the night. Plus I find it convenient for finding the weather from my bed. Plus, effectively it's an internet radio with it's TuneIn radio compatibility. I wouldn't bother with Amazon music but do have a skill that plays nature sounds to help me relax at night.

I also enjoy the BBC video of the news. Quite short but you wouldn't want to be watching too much video on a round screen. And it's handy to ask any question I want. The 4 microphones are very good and it picks up my voice where my phones wouldn't unless they were very close to me.

It's geared towards getting you to use Amazon's services and buying things but I have the purchasing options all switched off as it's highly customisable.

If I want to buy anything from Amazon I do it from my laptop, careful not to hit the all-too-easy subscribe to Amazon Prime boxes. And I don't have my debit card stored on my Amazon account, anyway.
Can't say that my Echos are geared to buying Amazon services per se as I already had Prime video and music subscription. Like you I have an Echo Dot at the side of my bed which acts as an alarm clock, radio, news feed and turns my light on and off.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

15-09-2018, 02:07 PM

I'll admit to being wrong - I think it's a fantastic device, especially with a screen where you can control it with touch and it can display information.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I'll admit to being wrong - I think it's a fantastic device, especially with a screen where you can control it with touch and it can display information.
It's only a matter of time before Google will release their version of an updated `Pod` with screen.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

15-09-2018, 05:14 PM

With a Google one I'd be able to play my Google Play Music collection but probably wouldn't bother as I would prefer using my phone.

The Spot can still play other music outwith Amazon Prime using TuneIn. I like the relaxations skill which plays just about any sounds I would want.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top