Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 02:14 PM

I'm having to retire my old Netbook....

I've put it off as long as I can, but the time has come to replace my old Netbook running 'Windows 7' for a new all singing all dancing/take it on holiday with me/state of the art computer/netbook/google chromebook thingy/laptop....running.....dare I say it......'Windows 10'...
So the Fox is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.....

Any ideas which would be the best buy....?
I don't watch films or TV on it....
I don't download music on it....
I don't play computer games on it.....
I would like to run my Dash Cam recordings on it, something that this netbook is tooooooooooo slow to do....
And it would be essential to be able to read all of my previous files on it comprising mainly microsoft excel and word.....
And downloads and updates would be refused.....forever....!
Once I've figured out how to use windows 10, I prefer it to stay exactly how it was when I left it.....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 11:33 PM

Re: I'm having to retire my old Netbook....

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
dare I say it......'Windows 10'...
And downloads and updates would be refused.....forever....!
You appear to not understand Win 10 and the whole point of its existence!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:12 AM

It's very difficult to say what should be bought, just something with decent specifications perhaps. Look at the processor type and the speed of it and how much memory a computer has. 8 gigabytes of memory would be a decent amount these days. The best thing to do before parting with the cash is read read read. Not just here but on the wider Internet.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 09:26 AM

I have a Lenovo netbook which seems to do the job I require of it. My daughter has a similar one but without the touch screen - I have turned the touch screen off on mine - it doesn't seem to add much (or anything) to the price but I wouldn't get one with a touch screen normally however this model was on special.

I like Lenovo, I have a Lenovo desktop and laptop as well, they seem to be very reliable - if you choose one just pay the most you can afford, price is a pretty good indicator of performance. Lenovo was once IBM but was bought out by a Chinese company so they had a good start in life.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You appear to not understand Win 10 and the whole point of its existence!
You're spot on with that Realist, I don't have a clue but It appears to be Windows 10 or nothing these days. I don't want the expense of Apple, and I don't want to spend the next couple of months learning how to use a new operating system. I presume that Windows 10 is based on previous microsoft operating systems with perhaps a few modifications...

I don't understand how my car works these days, I just drive it, and it's the same with my computer, I'd rather spend an hour or so perusing the forum than scratching my head and wondering 'What the hell happened there' when I'm faced with the 'Blue screen of death'....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It's very difficult to say what should be bought, just something with decent specifications perhaps. Look at the processor type and the speed of it and how much memory a computer has. 8 gigabytes of memory would be a decent amount these days. The best thing to do before parting with the cash is read read read. Not just here but on the wider Internet.
Thanks for the advice Mart, I'm just familiarising myself with the huge levels of memory and speed (compared to my old stuff) the new computers have these days...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have a Lenovo netbook which seems to do the job I require of it. My daughter has a similar one but without the touch screen - I have turned the touch screen off on mine - it doesn't seem to add much (or anything) to the price but I wouldn't get one with a touch screen normally however this model was on special.

I like Lenovo, I have a Lenovo desktop and laptop as well, they seem to be very reliable - if you choose one just pay the most you can afford, price is a pretty good indicator of performance. Lenovo was once IBM but was bought out by a Chinese company so they had a good start in life.
Oh God no Bruce! I forgot to mention that I don't want a touch screen one...
I bought a cheap smartphone with a touch screen, it's now languishing in it's cardboard container somewhere in the loft.....Trying to navigate the forum when it's about the size of a fag packet is definitely not recommended. And using the touch screen keyboard with fingers that felt like rolls of carpet provided hours of entertainment and frustration.....

I was looking at Lenovo netbooks and laptops while on holiday in Guernsey Bruce, I hadn't heard of them before, but they were a good price, and inside my budget. Problem is, everything seems to be on the internet these days with very few places where you can go and have a look. Curry's/PC World appear to have a monopoly on computers over here.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 08:33 AM

Oh God no Bruce! I forgot to mention that I don't want a touch screen one...
I bought a cheap smartphone with a touch screen, it's now languishing in it's cardboard container somewhere in the loft.....Trying to navigate the forum when it's about the size of a fag packet is definitely not recommended. And using the touch screen keyboard with fingers that felt like rolls of carpet provided hours of entertainment and frustration.....

I was looking at Lenovo netbooks and laptops while on holiday in Guernsey Bruce, I hadn't heard of them before, but they were a good price, and inside my budget. Problem is, everything seems to be on the internet these days with very few places where you can go and have a look. Curry's/PC World appear to have a monopoly on computers over here.....
I agree with you about the touch screen but it is easy to turn it off in the settings. I forget where off hand but just google it if you get a bargain with a touch screen. Don't let that put you off.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I agree with you about the touch screen but it is easy to turn it off in the settings. I forget where off hand but just google it if you get a bargain with a touch screen. Don't let that put you off.
Thanks Bruce I'll bare that in mind. Mrs Fox and me are going on holiday to Llandudno in a couple of weeks time so I'll have a good look round, although if my memory serves me correct, I think it will be mainly Curry's/PC World......again!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

05-09-2018, 01:58 PM

Thanks Bruce I'll bare that in mind. Mrs Fox and me are going on holiday to Llandudno in a couple of weeks time so I'll have a good look round, although if my memory serves me correct, I think it will be mainly Curry's/PC World......again!
I buy my computers directly from Lenovo their prices are pretty good and they often have specials on particular models. I am sure they would have a UK arm.

My laptop is getting a bit long in the tooth so I am thinking of replacing that in the not too distant future.

The advantage of buying direct from Lenovo is that you can customise any model to suit yourself by upgrading just about any of the main components ie faster processor, bigger HDD, more memory etc etc

The problem with computer shops is that they tend to have A model and that is that, no flexibility plus you get to deal with someone who knows bugger all about computers or knows far too much to be comprehensible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top