Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Poundland - latest silliness!

Was in town today and wandered into Poundland as a friend had asked to buy some bin bags and superglue for her from there. All was fine until I wanted to pay. They have done away with the regular tills and gone complete self check-out - with a spotty youth patrolling. As I had only the two items I wasn't phased, waited in the queue until directed by spotty youth to a machine.

Pressed button marked 'start' - was somewhat startled by a pseudo American voice (think very bad Presley impression!) saying 'Howdy dude - how can I help today?' I felt like kicking the thing - but - restrained myself. Scanned the bin bags - machine announced 'item authorised - what's next, buddy?'

Scanned the superglue - machine said 'Hey dude - that needs age verification'. Spotty youth comes over and waves an ID Badge at the thing - it replied 'Item age authorised - nice one Hound Dog - next item'. I pressed the 'finish and pay button. Machine said 'That's £2. Give me your money, Honey!'

I paid - and told spotty youth he had just lost a customer!
The woman at the machine next to mine handed spotty youth her basket of shopping and told him he had just lost two customers!! Her machine had kept spitting her £5 note out each time she tried to pay.

Honestly - self service machines are bad enough - but talking ones - and with an American accent that no American on the planet would ever recognise???
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 09:11 PM

Re: Poundland - latest silliness!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
'Howdy dude - how can I help today?'

...love it! I want to play.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 09:15 PM

I'm sorry, that was hilarious.

What does it do if you rush out without paying ?

'Hey, Scum ... Freeze! .... Hands in the air and spread your legs!'
* Bang bang*
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 09:19 PM

There's one or two funny online comments about this .. like

Elvis singing .. Ain't nuthin' but a Pound-dog
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 09:37 PM

I'd have felt like giving that machine a right 'pounding', then I would have turned right 'pound' and been homeward pound,
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 09:44 PM

When I put something on the scales that I didn't like I think it started singing suspicious minds....

Some people paying got annoyed because they couldn't work out what he was saying.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 10:52 PM

I went in early during the week to my local Poundland and flew round with my basket only to find that there was one staff member telling folk that they needed to use the machines. I told her I could not use the machine because it keeps stopping and I have not got the patience. There were 5 empty tills not being used but apparently there was no staff.
She had to scan all my goods for me and even she had trouble with it I just smiled paid by card and walked out a happy bunny.
But yes I agree Poundland as gone right downhill quite a few food items I used to buy there I now buy next door at Farm Foods for the same price I used to pay at Poundland.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 10:58 PM

It would be really disappointing if they liquidated. They have a great business model.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It would be really disappointing if they liquidated. They have a great business model.
Do they? I don't know much about them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

22-09-2018, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Do they? I don't know much about them.
They buy excess stock at a discount. It's a brilliant business model. Most of the stuff is 100% genuine branded stock.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top