Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 08:11 PM

Re: Crosswords

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I love Crosswords, especially the Daily Telegraph Crossword. I can do the Quick Crossword easily but the big cryptic one is ok if you can get into the head of the compiler.
I used to do the big cryptic crossword with my ex husband and an ex boyfriend, it is better if you have someone to bounce your thoughts off.

I like the Daily Mail Crossword too but prefer the Pitcherwits in there!

I have Crossword books too.
Hi Arty

I love the Quick ones, I can knock one off in no time flat.
If you can do those cryptic ones, you are very good Art. They are not easy....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Used to regularly do the crossword in the newspaper but I don't buy them now so I don't do them. I like to keep my brain active with word games.
Hi Lion

Hey, what is word games? I don't think I have heard of them.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

23-09-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I love cryptic ones, can't stand the simple crosswords though - so boring. I enjoy the Daily Mail, Telegraph and also the weekly Radio Times crossword.
So you do the Cryptic ones also Eccies? Wow, I better get busy and try harder with them, you people are leaving me behind in your dust...haha
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

23-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I don't buy newspapers anymore - but - I do buy 'The Times' crossword puzzle books and try to do one puzzle each day. Some of them are down right diabolical - but I won't be beaten! I also like logic problems, Rebus puzzles and the lateral thinking ones.
Hi Silver ,

Good for you, sounds like you are keeping your brain good and active. One puzzle a day is good, that is what I do also...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Hi Mags

I find the crosswords in the newspapers very difficult...
Some can be, WB .... I do the crosswords in the same paper every day so I think it's a case of getting used to their style of Cryptic clues.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

23-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Yes I do crosswords,I buy the puzzle mags Take a break/Take a Puzzle/Take a Crossword are my favourites,I got through lots of them while I was in hospital.I do like the Code Words,but sometimes I cheat & have to look ot the first answer
I have cheated a bit once in a while also Deylon.
In hospital is the best time, they take your mind off why you are in there. That is where I started doing crosswords. About 2 years ago I had a terrible fall, and broke a lot of bones (fell off a ladder), so a friend brought me a crossword, as I was flat on my back for a while.

That got me hooked. I don't let myself run out of crossword books, I buy three at a time.....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

23-09-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Cryptic crosswords are my favourite, I'm just making my way through a book of Times cryptics and download and print off those from the Gruaniad. I also do general knowledge crosswords. Those that feature in rags like the Sun and Mirror are an insult.
Oh Judd, you also with Cryptic? There is a lot of intelligent people on this forum.....good on you Judd...
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

23-09-2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Some can be, WB .... I do the crosswords in the same paper every day so I think it's a case of getting used to their style of Cryptic clues.
Mags, I don't get a newspaper, but I guess that would be the best way to get used to Cryptic...
I find even with the books Mags, you will see the same questions over and over again...on each puzzle, so you get used to their style.

One book I get have a lot of Arabic questions and I find them difficult. I can't even remember the capitals of those Arabic Countries.....so I have to cheat on that or I would never complete the puzzle...and I hate leaving a puzzle not done.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Oh Judd, you also with Cryptic? There is a lot of intelligent people on this forum.....good on you Judd...
As someone has already mentioned, it's just a case of trying to get inside the setter's head. Once you've done that, the answers tend to fall in place. It helps if you have a decent vocabulary also.

Try this one.

No stomach for chase, vegans sabotaged hunt.

If you take out the `stomach` i.e. the middle of chase you're left with CE. You add that to VEGANS and sabotaged means it's an anagram. Hunt is the answer in the clue so you have an anagram of CEVEGANS - Scavenge, a type of hunt.

All it takes is practice.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 10:30 PM

Nice one Judd - I love cryptic clues!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top