Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Ammonia.

AB mentioned ammonia in his morning post and I would just like to pass on this tip to you if you don't already know it. I use ammonia all the time to clean jewellery after polishing, the polishing leaves a lot of dirt and excess polish on the article so to clean it off here's what you do. Find an old small cooking pot that you don't use anymore, put in a pint of water and one tablespoon of ammonia plus a teaspoon of washing powder. If it's a ring tie a piece of fine wire or string around it and dangle the string over the side of the pot, (This is to avoid scalding your fingers when taking it out of the pot). bring the contents of the pot slowly to the boil and let it simmer for five minutes, then take the article out via the string and using a used toothbrush gently dab the ring all over until the dirt is gone. use a tissue to dry it off and thats it,
I find that if you use the ultrasonic cleaner it loosens any small stones that may be set in a ring especially if the article is old, the ammonia way is the safest for a small job.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Re: Ammonia.

The Ammonia I was talking about near the farm was coming from the cows Jemflux.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 12:51 PM

That's useful to know Jem
Ammonia is a great cleaning agent as long as you take care using it. I mix it with very hot water and use it to clean my oven soaking all the loose parts overnight in a large plastic container in the garage.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 01:01 PM

Don't know anything about cows ammonia AB, me being a city man, anyway it reminded me of the the stuff we use and it smells terrible too.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Oh well I like the smell of ammonia, but thats me !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

19-07-2011, 03:35 PM

I've been inhaling the stuff since I starting working in the 60's and have become immune to the smell, but it can't be doing me any harm, between that and the smoking the Doc says I still have a great pair of lungs, although he's always telling me to quit smoking, but he has to say that hasn't he.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Don't know anything about cows ammonia AB, me being a city man, anyway it reminded me of the the stuff we use and it smells terrible too.
Barry, have you never smelt a wet nappy?

Same stuff comes from cows.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top