Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 09:06 AM

Re potting house plants.

I have bought a couple of Boston Ferns to hide some unsightly pipework in my bathroom. The other reason I bought them is I am making my home dog safe and apparently Boston Fern are safe and I really like them as well.

They came in 4" pots and look pretty crowded in there. Should I re pot them and whats the best way to do this please.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Re: Re potting house plants.

You repot plants if and when they get root bound. If when you flip the plant over and take it out of its container the roots will be all balled up if it needs transplanting. If it does then you get a bigger pot , perhaps 8 inch ones.

I usually untangle the bounded roots some , maybe even snip off a bit of root if they are very rootbound. Add enough indoor potting mix to the new pot and water it. Enough that if you sit the plant in , the top is almost level with the new container. Leave some space there for watering purposes. Fill the soil around the plant , lightly pack and water. It’s always best to transplant away from direct sunlight as it’s easier on the plant.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 07:46 PM

Hi Bratti and thankyou for the info. I dont know very much at all about gardening or plants and would hate it if I killed a plant out of lack of knowledge.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 08:37 PM

You'll be fine MC.... just get a slightly larger pot and some compost and away you go.

I used to worry about plants dying if I re-potted them, but they never did.
Erm, except geraniums. One of my father-in-laws in his retirement used to garden for the local vet. He often gave me geraniums. I hated geraniums but of never told him

I never treated them any different to my other plants, ie I watered and fed them when they needed it. But they always died.

Now, I really like geraniums.... and they never die

So give your plants a bit of love too.... I even talk to mine every now and again
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 08:41 PM

We tend to keep our house plants in a plastic pot, placed inside a decorative pot, so when it comes to watering, it can jut be removed and stood in water.

Personally I would say don't water too often, maybe once a week and place in water (perhaps in the bath) rather than watering from above. that's what we do which works fine for our particular plants but if anyone disagrees please say as I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving MC bad advice.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 12:41 AM

Here you go MC.
I think those ferns need to be spritzed with water as they need a moist atmosphere, but don't take my word for it, have a read of this:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/hou...-fern-care.htm
Mondays child
United Kingdom

05-10-2018, 07:25 AM

Thank you all for your help.

I want houseplants that are safe in the house for dogs and cats etc as I may be long term looking after a couple of little dogs. But also like the idea of those air cleansing plants So I have been looking for spiders plants, Boston Ferns, Tradescantia, and Peace Lily
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Here you go MC.
I think those ferns need to be spritzed with water as they need a moist atmosphere, but don't take my word for it, have a read of this:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/hou...-fern-care.htm
The bathroom should be ideal then Mups.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Thank you all for your help.

I want houseplants that are safe in the house for dogs and cats etc as I may be long term looking after a couple of little dogs. But also like the idea of those air cleansing plants So I have been looking for spiders plants, Boston Ferns, Tradescantia, and Peace Lily
If you are thinking of having a cat or dog in the house MC, I would forget the Peace Lily as they are harmful to cats and dogs and could cause their death.

The peace lily (also known as Mauna Loa) is toxic to dogs and cats. Ingestion of the peace lily or calla lily can cause irritation of the tongue and lips, increased salivation, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting.
Mondays child
United Kingdom

05-10-2018, 06:17 PM

Thankyou Mags
I dont now where i was told that peace lily was ok, but I will now avoid it. I must have got confused with all these different plant safe sites I have looked at.
I have been going round the house collecting anything up which is bad for pets and its all being locked safely away. Toilet cleaner, bathroom cleaner, medications etc. I havent been told for sure yet these dogs will be coming to live with me yet but next week I'm going to dog proof the garden and check all my fences and garden door.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top