Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 07:27 PM

Ironing at low temps. Waste of time

I bought some new curtains and went to put them up but they were badly creased from being in the packaging.
The ironing instructions were 1 dot which I found out meant to iron at low temperature I believe.

I was worried that I would damage the curtains so I used a cotton pillowcase between the iron and curtain but it was a complete waste of time. I could not get the crease or fold marks out. I tried raising the temperature to two dots but still no effect.

In the end, in case I mentally snapped and threw both the iron and ironing board through the window, decided to hang them as they are in a south facing window and I'm hoping that the heat from the sun and the fact they are hanging from the curtain pole the creases may drop out.

I dont know anything about ironing curtains so if my just "hanging and hoping" fails can anyone suggest what else I can try please.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Re: Ironing at low temps. Waste of time

Try hanging them in the bathroom after you’ve had a bath/shower
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 07:53 PM

I would have used a damp pillowcase
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:09 AM

They needed damping down with a water spray.
Badly creased material always needs to be damp to get the creases out.

A good steam iron might have worked.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:32 AM

Hi

Lidl Steam brush.

Works wonders.

Silvercrest steam brush.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 06:15 PM

Thank you for all the replies and I agree that a steam would sort out the problem. I bought the curtains from Dunelm. They are the eyelet type and they dont close properly in the middle either due to the curtain pole centre piece. I am wondering now whether I should have stuck with traditional curtains and rails.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 06:48 PM

Is the curtain pole metal or wooden?
Looks like this is a common problem with wooden poles.

https://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewt...?f=59&t=133248
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 07:28 PM

Get yourself a steam generator iron

You can hang curtains then steam the creases out of them without having to have the iron anywhere near
Mondays child
United Kingdom

07-10-2018, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Is the curtain pole metal or wooden?
Looks like this is a common problem with wooden poles.

https://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewt...?f=59&t=133248
Hi Ruthio. Yes its a wooden pole that is 240 cm in length. It has a join in the middle and a bracket also is needed there for support.
I suppose theres no need for me to moan about the curtains not meeting properly really as I have also fitted a venetian blind to this window so I can angle it to stop a nosey neighbour who tends to walk past my house with her nose practically touching the glass as she stares into my lounge. Its just that I am going to put my dining table near my window and I dont want to have her staring at me while I eat.

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Get yourself a steam generator iron

You can hang curtains then steam the creases out of them without having to have the iron anywhere near
Hi Missy
Yes I think your right. It may be the only answer as I have been looking at the curtains again today and they dont look good. I have used a hand steamer before when I was doing some voluntary work in a Charity shop and they do work well.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Forget the curtains, I would have been more interested in watching the ironing board fly out of the window.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top