Join for free
Page 9 of 18 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 12:26 AM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Those are two reasons that influenced me into performing a "Reset" on my Laptop - power up/shutdown are much quicker now .....
It is not the time it takes that worries me because they are minimal, it's the fact that it does it at all, it's a trick.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 09:33 PM

What's new in Windows 10...? Me!

I hope I don't regret this.....

Just purchased a new 14" HP laptop from AO....

For you techy types.....256Gb SSB 8Gb RAM with a 8th generation i5 Intel core processor.....Any good chaps?...
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 10:45 PM

Should be fast
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 09:30 AM

That's the same specifications as my Desktop computer, apart from the age of the hardware of course. It's all about 5 years now. I hope you get the same good performance and reliability out of your new Laptop computer.

Edit: Spelling error.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 11:48 AM

Thanks Ray and Mart, I've been having trouble following links on the forum, this old netbook is so slow. And trying to run a video off my dash cam is virtually impossible so I hope the new laptop will be up to the job.

Just one problem though, I wanted to purchase 'Office 360' at the same time. I think it comes with a free trial but they were doing a special offer on it at AO so I added it on, but when I read that the £39 was an annual subscription I've cancelled it. Is it not possible to just buy a copy?

If not, I've still got a disk with microsoft office student, and I'll load that instead....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Ray and Mart, I've been having trouble following links on the forum, this old netbook is so slow. And trying to run a video off my dash cam is virtually impossible so I hope the new laptop will be up to the job.

Just one problem though, I wanted to purchase 'Office 360' at the same time. I think it comes with a free trial but they were doing a special offer on it at AO so I added it on, but when I read that the £39 was an annual subscription I've cancelled it. Is it not possible to just buy a copy?

If not, I've still got a disk with microsoft office student, and I'll load that instead....
I have found MS Office 2016 very clunky, even on a relatively powerful desktop PC.

I tried the free MS Office Online on my laptop PC and that was even clunkier.

I've never been a fan of Google Docs so I started looking for a free PC solution elsewhere. Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice were obvious candidates, but I settled for SoftMaker FreeOffice - simple but effective:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/softmaker-freeoffice

SoftMaker FreeOffice offers effortless editing of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. It can also export files in EPUB and PDF export.

You don’t get every feature in the free version – tabbed browsing and the thesaurus are saved for the paid-for product, for example – but all the basics of everyday office work are covered very well indeed.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 12:18 PM

I'm not sure of the status of the latest MS Office but think it's all subscription now. There are lots of special offers for full versions of MS Office (search using the term 'ms office') but people seem to get varying results as regards licencing from what I read.

If you didn't have that Home & Student version, it might be worth thinking about one of those offers. Either that or install Libre Office or OpenOffice (or other). Since you have got MS Office Home & Student though, it could be best to use that. It's what I'm using. It runs OK for me and caters for everything I need to do.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

25-11-2018, 12:54 PM

Thanks Omah and Mart, the thing that worries me is that I have files on Excel and Word going back to the nineties (first formed on windows 98) I would be a wee bit miffed if I couldn't open them. My first knock back was when windows 7 would not allow me to open files on Works. So using Vista on my desktop I converted them all to excel. I thought that once all my files had been converted to digital they would survive forever......It seems now that it's not the case....
At least when I used to enter all my running into a ledger they could always be accessed......There's a lot to be said for pen and paper.....

The softmaker free office looks good Omah, or the Libre Office also, I'll sample the free trial that comes with the laptop, but they can stick that annual subscription malarky. Although I don't mind paying a 'one off' payment for the right office software. It also comes with a free trial of the Mcafee? security programme, so with that and the regular upgrades suffered on windows 10, plus IE there is going to be a lot of cleaning out to be done first before I let it loose on any my important stuff.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 03:04 PM

I wouldn't dream of buying MS Office, should my present installation become unusable.

Libre Office is free. Why not take a look? It is similar to MS Office in many ways.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 03:07 PM

Thanks Omah and Mart, the thing that worries me is that I have files on Excel and Word going back to the nineties (first formed on windows 98) I would be a wee bit miffed if I couldn't open them.
I have some ancient files created in Lotus which, of course, is now long gone.

Libre Office opens them!

Page 9 of 18 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top