Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Re: God Help The Generations To Follow!

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Here it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday...Rich_List_2018

Half of the top 12 have dual citizenship so can just leave takinng their money with them.

If we took all the money they have from them it is enoouth to pay for less than 2 years, after that it is gone and down to the rest of us to pay from then on.
Might concentrate their minds on helping others rather than piling it in their own accounts.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 05:43 PM

Hi Julie,

In 2015, the top 1 percent of taxpayers accounted for more income taxes paid than the bottom 90 percent combined. The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid £54.3 billion, or 29.04 percent of all income taxes, while the bottom 90 percent paid £42.8 billion, or 24.4 per cent of all income taxes.

Don't you think that's pulling their weight already?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 06:08 PM

No they're not pulling their weight Barry. They have loopholes such as overseas tax havens and writing their own personal taxes written off into their companies. They make it look like they support charities but they never give any of their "own money" away, it's like these rich stars who turn up on Children in Need - they tell us to "raise" money when they could use their own spare change to give a cancer-ridden kid the funds for an operation out of their back pocket. It's all for greed and publicity.

I'll tell you where we could get some cash from: The Royal Family.
Re-house them on council estates, sell all those huge mansions, paintings and jewels but make sure a team unconnected with big business is in charge of distributing the money. To good causes, not their own pockets.
Harry and William are seen visiting poor sick children in hospitals and the homeless whilst their butlers are outside minding their limousines and Kate and Megan are standing next to these poor souls dressed in Dolce Cabana dresses and Armani handbags.

Same with the whole tradition of our antequated country. Ditch all those banquets, the velvet robes, the ceremonies and fancy mayoral functions. That money is more deserving for our war heroes.

End of rant. For now.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Everyone aged 30 or below will get no State Pension till their 70’s.
Hardly much different to how it is now (67) is it ?!

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Well folks, the way things are heading, looks like the generations following us could be either leaving work in a pine box or perhaps starve or freeze to death!! What are your thoughts on the above?
You can blame this Looney Labour megalomaniac who bankrupted Britain and who sold all our gold reserves for a pittance to foreign interests:

The notion that we should allow the same Looney party to once again grab the reins of our country's economy is as farcical as it is imaginary.

The Tories have to deal with the utter devastation left behind by Looney Labour. We can whinge about what the Tories are doing all we like, but we know the truth is that Looney Labour put us in this awful mess.

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 07:06 PM

Ther are always loopholes at all levels Floydy, have you never paid a plumber in cash for instance?

Whatever the loopholes though the facts are as stated above from official figures and demanding more, through nothing more than envy and spite of the successful is akin to slaying the golden goose. When will you and your lefty friends ever understand that it is the wealthy that generate wealth for all with jobs and investment, as well as paying the lion's share of taxes. Without the wealth creators there would be no welfare state and no pensions at all, because all of those things are financed by capitalism, the very thing you want to destroy...

End of rant .... for now...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The pension arrangements as they now stand are unsustainable, because they are paid for by the current workforce as we paid for those that retired before us, but with the NHS keeping us alive longer then we will continue to see a situation where there are fewer and fewer workers paying for more and more pensioners.

That begs the question though, if the billions we spend on the NHS are keeping us fitter for longer, then why should we not work longer? of course there are manual jobs where it just isn't feasible physically, but changing professions later in your working life could perhaps be an answer in those circumstances?

In reality there is really only way in the future that will enable you to retire at the age you choose, and that is to do what many of us did and save for it yourself, and remove the reliance on the state retirement age. Having said that though, if there is a different way that wouldn't impose yet more pressure on the social welfare budget then I'd love to hear it and be proved wrong..

Sensible idea Barry, but not always possible IMO..
Take me for example.

Without going into too many personal details, not being classed as a skilled worker with a trade, (I was a carer), I couldn't expect the same hourly rate as someone who is skilled.

Don't forget we are also talking about when it was perfectly 'normal' for the men to earn more than us for doing exactly the same job.
I sometimes had two jobs at once to keep going too.

I had a house to run, a car to run to even get to work, myself and the dogs to feed, bills and emergencies to pay for, plus the usual unforeseen things that crop up for everyone else.
I have had no holiday away for 40-odd years, and I do not smoke.

There was no second wage coming in from a spouse and although I usually scraped through, there was never any excess left to save.

My last job only started a pension scheme a few months before I retired, so that would not have amounted to anything for me.

I am fairly proud I managed, had no debts, and owed nothing to nobody, but that was all I could do. I missed my monthly wages.

For those that have a decent income and a better wage, and sometimes a partner working a little to help too, yes, perhaps they can save for their old age, but surely it must depend on a persons income to be able to do that?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

19-11-2018, 08:20 PM

I understand Mups that there will always be those that can't, but those that can should, and the earlier the better. This really needs to be taught these days because as I said earlier, there just won't be enough going into the pot, although businesses now are obliged to set up schemes which can only be a good thing.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 08:38 PM

Well I’ll be alright, I can plant those magic beans my pension will give me!!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Ther are always loopholes at all levels Floydy, have you never paid a plumber in cash for instance?

Whatever the loopholes though the facts are as stated above from official figures and demanding more, through nothing more than envy and spite of the successful is akin to slaying the golden goose. When will you and your lefty friends ever understand that it is the wealthy that generate wealth for all with jobs and investment, as well as paying the lion's share of taxes. Without the wealth creators there would be no welfare state and no pensions at all, because all of those things are financed by capitalism, the very thing you want to destroy...

End of rant .... for now...
Where have ever noted that I support a specific political party Barry? And which friends are you talking about?
Don't put words in my mouth. What do you need to worry about other than whether your tomato plants are getting enough sunshine?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 09:44 PM

The people who put money in the coffers to pay my pension - apart from me of course - Were building ships, making steel and mining coal, and we gave it all away ....

I never thought the state pension would keep me in luxury, but it's more than enough for me to live quite happily on....A big thank you to everyone who contributed.....Life of Riley.....

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top