Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Titus
London
Titus is male  Titus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 03:44 PM

Re: Out for a Run

Over the last few months I have been doing exercises in the gym to keep muscles/heart active. And to build up the muscles around my knee. Feel so much better, Nice weather helps too. Have been walking for last few months too.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 09:33 PM

Come back nice and steady Titus, I find that running every other day helps to ward off injuries. good luck on the come back trail.....
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 11:30 PM

Well done Richard.
Tim
New Member!
US
Tim is male 

27-03-2015, 02:41 PM

Nothing like a good run. You feel good during and after.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2015, 03:53 PM

I admire people who run, but I am built for comfort, not speed.
Have enjoyed the witty replies here.
Had a good old chuckle.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2015, 05:22 PM

I use to do a lot of running in my 20's but not now it's a short dash or a quick walk here and there. Every little helps as they say!

Good Luck Titus
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2015, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tim ->
Nothing like a good run. You feel good during and after.
Amen to that Tim, it's the best thing that happened to me, and it's probably saved my life.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 07:35 AM

I've seen it written that a heart only has so many beats in it. When it has done however many million beats that is, it will stop. Not at all sure about that but if it were true, it would be the perfect reason to sit back and do nothing that raises the heart rate.

I use this myself as a 'tongue in cheek' theory myself sometimes, especially when I want to snooze in front of the telly. Something not to be used too often though because people can't understand what you're saying if you talk with your tongue in your cheek.

The trouble is the theory about keeping the heart rate down fails because doing no exercise is bad for the health by nearly all accounts.

Seems to me that it's good to strike a balance between relaxation and exercise but I'm not sure this practice will mean I'll live longer. I figure I'm going to die one day anyway, no matter what I do. Might be sooner, might be later. Exercising perhaps doesn't guarantee a longer life at all. Plenty of people who exercise expire early on but perhaps, on balance, people who exercise might live longer.

I reckon the main benefit of taking some exercise (if healthy enough to attempt it) is that it makes you feel better while alive. It gives energy in reserve for everyday tasks. No puffing or blowing when doing the housework or house maintenance. No feeling out of breath if having to hurry somewhere.

I take exercise but really am pretty good at sitting around doing nothing too. A healthy balance struck between one and the other I hope.

I ride a bicycle a good number of miles a week and have done so for the last twenty years (aged 70 now). I'm sure I've slowed a little compared to when I was 50 but I'm still managing about 35 to 40 miles a week, both on and off-road. Not only that but I walk around 12 miles a week at a pace faster than many who are younger than me. I know something will end this one day (maybe death) but I'll be keeping it going for as long as I can.

I'm not damaging any leg joints from the exercise I do, just wearing out my bum on the saddle and the soles of my shoes on the footpaths. I broke my left kneecap thirty years ago and it can still hurt sometimes. I'm sure running wouldn't be right for me.

There's still plenty of time left for sitting down and doing nothing I'm pleased to say.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 07:39 AM

The only thing about me that runs is my nose

Seriously, I'm just not a runner, but would love to be fit enough. I stick to walking.

Well done Titus and I'm glad you are feeling the benefits.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-04-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've seen it written that a heart only has so many beats in it. When it has done however many million beats that is, it will stop. Not at all sure about that but if it were true, it would be the perfect reason to sit back and do nothing that raises the heart rate.

I use this myself as a 'tongue in cheek' theory myself sometimes, especially when I want to snooze in front of the telly. Something not to be used too often though because people can't understand what you're saying if you talk with your tongue in your cheek.

The trouble is the theory about keeping the heart rate down fails because doing no exercise is bad for the health by nearly all accounts.

I reckon the main benefit of taking some exercise (if healthy enough to attempt it) is that it makes you feel better while alive. It gives energy in reserve for everyday tasks. No puffing or blowing when doing the housework or house maintenance. No feeling out of breath if having to hurry somewhere.

I take exercise but really am pretty good at sitting around doing nothing too. A healthy balance struck between one and the other I hope.

I ride a bicycle a good number of miles a week and have done so for the last twenty years (aged 70 now). I'm sure I've slowed a little compared to when I was 50 but I'm still managing about 35 to 40 miles a week, both on and off-road. Not only that but I walk around 12 miles a week at a pace faster than many who are younger than me. I know something will end this one day (maybe death) but I'll be keeping it going for as long as I can.

I'm not damaging any leg joints from the exercise I do, just wearing out my bum on the saddle and the soles of my shoes on the footpaths. I broke my left kneecap thirty years ago and it can still hurt sometimes. I'm sure running wouldn't be right for me.

There's still plenty of time left for sitting down and doing nothing I'm pleased to say.
Good post Martin, judging by your account, you seem to have got it about right.
However, I have also read about the maximum number of heartbeats and would like to point out that having been a runner for the thick end of forty years, my resting heart rate is somewhere in the mid forties. Most sedentary peoples heart rates are between sixty and eighty, therefore, a fit persons heart beats at least 20 beats less every minute of every day. Furthermore, during a run, a long time runner will find it hard to push the heart over 140 bpm, whereas someone who does not do exercise on a regular basis will have no trouble at all getting their heart rate into the danger zone [220 minus your age]
Running for a bus, Stress or hard physical work can also push the heart into the danger zone, and will, and has been, fatal for many.

Fitness is a side effect from doing something I love, I have never run to lose weight or to keep fit, I have always run because I love being out in the country, and the feeling of well being it gives me, both physically and mentally. The consistency of running every other day brings many rewards, and has benefited me both at home and throughout my working life.
I was never a sporty person at school or after: I was rubbish at all sports. In my late twenties, by accident, I found something I could do well, and found that running long distances easier than most people, and it just got better year on year.

Running is not right for some people, there are many ingredients that make up a runner, and if you don't enjoy it, you won't keep it up. Cycling and walking are two great hobbies that will ensure your heart will be kept in good condition. Will we live longer? who knows, but if you are doing something you like, who cares.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top