Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2015, 11:04 PM

Re: Ooo - too much running?

[QUOTE=MKJ;604183]Bah - no bloody fun in that. Extremists have a ball.[/QUOTE]

Is it 'a ball' having your bad knee then Mark?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2015, 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=Suzuki Sue;604380]I used to jog and run in the 1970's where you run a bit then jog a bit, at least you could catch your breath inbetween when you jogged if you understand what i mean Nowadays i shuffle ha ha....[/[QUOTE]

Bit like me Suzuki, shuffle a bit then catch me breath .
Tim
New Member!
US
Tim is male 

27-03-2015, 03:08 PM

I am with the moderation group. Jogging a few times a week is good for your health, but if you are constantly pushing your body to the extreme it is bound to cause you problems.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by myra ->
maybe its the chaffing?
l o l
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Many runners have graduated from other sports: Rugby, Football, Boxing, to name but a few. Knee injuries are commonplace but only come to light in later years when a more relaxed form of exercise is preferred [running] hence many older runners experiencing damaged cartilage. Running with excess weight can also be the culprit. Fortunately, throughout my career [38 years] I've suffered very little injury. However, I have had two Heart Attacks, my first at the age of fifty three [in 2004] and again at 63 [in 2014].
Having been a runner all my adult life, my blood pressure and heart rate have always been on the low side, my weight is stable at around ten stone, and my Cholesterol came in at 5.4 mmol/l which is not considered excessive. So what was the reason for this unfortunate turn of events? Until my first Heart Attack I had been a smoker for over thirty five years; and my father had a couple of Heart Attacks and strokes. It was decided that Smoking and Heredity were the most likely cause. But after reading this, I'm not so sure.....

ENDURANCE TRAINING IS BAD FOR YOUR HEART
Tom Kelso

Contributor - Strength and Conditioning

You hear it often: exercise aerobically forty to sixty-plus minutes per day, five to six times per week, for a total of three and a half to six-plus hours. Distance runners do it because that is their hobby. It is the same for distance swimmers and other “aerobic” sports. The demands of their sport require it, so they must replicate it in training.

endurance training, cardio, long distance training, marathon, marathon runningIndeed, getting your heart rate up with regular cardio exercise is important because as the heart pumps harder, blood oxygen levels rise and endorphins (natural painkillers) increase. Additionally, aerobic exercise activates the immune system, helps the heart pump blood more efficiently, and increases endurance over time.

However, for the average fitness enthusiast, sport athlete, and fat-loss seeker, is lengthy and frequent training feasible and even necessary? Doubtful. Admit it: many dread initiating an training session or avoid it like the Swine flu for various and sundry reasons: difficult to schedule, not motivated, too time-consuming, and too physically demanding. Well, as I have mentioned in past articles, sensible exercise sessions do not need to be lengthy and performed every day. They do, however, require a certain level of physical effort. You cannot get something for nothing, because something must give.

But what about those who partake in extensive aerobic training? Well, here is a new controversy: too much “cardio” can damage the heart. Marathon runners are a good example of this. Although running a marathon is normally viewed as the essence of fitness and the ultimate test of endurance, it puts an unusual stress on the heart.

According to a study presented at the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress in Montreal, regular exercise reduces cardiovascular risk by a factor of two or three. That, of course, is a fantastic benefit. But the vigorous demand of running a competitive marathon increases cardiac risk by seven-fold. Long-distance running also results in high levels of inflammation that may trigger cardiac events and damage the heart post-marathon running.

endurance training, cardio, long distance training, marathon, marathon runningAnother study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology discovered even more grim news. Researchers used a group of extremely fit older men who were members of the 100 Marathon Club, meaning they had successfully run in a minimum of one hundred marathons. If marathon running provided a cardiovascular benefit this group of men would surely be worthy of serious examination. Well, they found that half of these marathon-lifers showed some heart muscle scarring, especially the men who had trained the longest and hardest.

Heart scarring was also revealed in a study published in the Journal of Circulation. Lab rats performed cardio training designed to mimic the strenuous daily exercise load of serious marathoners over the course of ten years. All the rats had normal, healthy hearts at the beginning of the study, but most of them had developed diffuse scarring and some structural changes at the end. This is similar to the changes seen in the human endurance athletes.

Yet another study showed that long-term endurance athletes suffer from decreased right ventricle function of the heart after competitive endurance events. They also had increased blood levels of cardiac enzymes (markers for heart injury) and twelve-percent of the athletes had noticeable scar tissue on their heart muscle one week post-race. The conclusion was over-exercise is more than likely to harm the body.

Lastly, Dr. Joseph Mercola also concluded too much exercise can actually be harmful - specifically lengthy bouts of aerobic training. As per the previous studies noted, there is a limit to these benefits – and potential bodily harm - especially if one trains too long, such as:

Catabolism - tissue break down leads to excess cortisol (a stress hormone) release, which not only contributes to catabolism but also chronic disease.
Microscopic tears in muscle fibers that may have trouble healing if one continues to over-exercise, which may increase the risk of injuries.
A weakened immune system.
Insomnia - especially if the training session is later in the day.

Let’s face it, to get the most benefits out of training one must work the body hard enough to elicit a change, while endurance training, cardio, long distance training, marathon, marathon runningallowing adequate time for recovery and repair to take place: stimulus – recovery – adaptation. One of the best ways to do this is to follow a fitness regimen that mimics the movements of our hunter-gatherer ancestors. This includes short bursts of high-intensity activities and NOT long-distance running as per that required to complete a marathon or even an hour on the treadmill.
In conclusion, the recommended training that can offer cardiovascular benefits without potential long-term heart damage should include:

Brief and demanding sessions consisting of intermittent work and rest, such as interval training.
Circuit-type strength training. You’ll get muscle strength and an elevated heart rate. It is the total package.
Training no more than four days per week. Build in recovery days. Allow the body time to heal. Your biology demands it.
Simple progression. Over time, increase the number of bouts, intensity of effort, and/or decrease the recovery time between bouts.
A whiff of common sense. If you’re exhausted, you sense potential injury, or you’re not feeling fully recovered, take an extra day of rest. It is better to err on the side of caution to maintain training longevity.

Photos courtesy of Shutterstock.

Good luck with the knee Mark, hope it doesn't keep you on the subs bench for too long...
old spartan
New Member!
United States
old spartan is male 

03-04-2015, 02:35 AM

Extreme running has been shown to be harmful but 4 hrs a week shouldn't be a problem. Lifting weights is better exercise overall so that's what I do
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tim ->
I am with the moderation group. Jogging a few times a week is good for your health, but if you are constantly pushing your body to the extreme it is bound to cause you problems.
Sensible and correct ....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top