Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

05-12-2014, 12:36 AM

Pulling video games off the retail shelf.

I just read that Target and KMart Australia pulled the Grand Theft Auto 5 video game off the shelves. It has violence in it, as do other video games. Three ladies started a petition to have it removed. I think what's the big deal; its just a game, not a blueprint for life. What do you folks think?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 12:42 AM

Re: Pulling video games off the retail shelf.

Personally I do not want to watch violence and I don't see the point in violent games.
There is too much violence going on all around us in our real lives, why add to it
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 06:35 AM

I imagine that there might be a few people badly influenced by the violence.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 07:11 AM

Its been pulled due to the fact it encourages violence and other things towards women,to collect health points.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I imagine that there might be a few people badly influenced by the violence.
Absolutely right. Why ! - make these so called 'games' so violent - sick and in my book !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 12:16 PM

Worries me with the boys, they have friends who are addicted to these games and you can see when they come off them a sort of trance like state and they are very much more violent after watching them IMO
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Worries me with the boys, they have friends who are addicted to these games and you can see when they come off them a sort of trance like state and they are very much more violent after watching them IMO
Yes - seen evidence of that too - the culprits that makes these 'games' and the retailers, only have eyes for the money, they can't 'see' beyond that !
Tim
New Member!
US
Tim is male 

27-03-2015, 03:14 PM

There is no doubt about it, violent video games and movies can effect their viewers.

Evidence of it. Have two 10 year old boys watch a karate movie and see if they aren't practicing their karate moves afterwards.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2015, 09:44 PM

Our young people are bombarded with Violence from Computer Games, Films and even the news is filled with graphic examples of war and fighting. It affects me, so it must be having an effect on young impressionable minds.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2015, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by donnamarie ->
I just read that Target and KMart Australia pulled the Grand Theft Auto 5 video game off the shelves. It has violence in it, as do other video games. Three ladies started a petition to have it removed. I think what's the big deal; its just a game, not a blueprint for life. What do you folks think?
Bit of an old story, this happened before Christmas last year.

"It's a game that encourages players to murder women for entertainment. The incentive is to commit sexual violence against women, then abuse or kill them to proceed or get 'health' points – and now Target are stocking it and promoting it for your Xmas stocking," the petition said.

"This misogynistic GTA V literally makes a game of bashing, killing and horrific violence against women."

Target general manager of corporate affairs Jim Cooper said the decision to stop selling the game was made following extensive community and customer concern

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top