Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 08:19 AM

Depression and TV viewing

What sad secrets are hidden in your Netflix account?

Lonely and depressed people are more likely to binge-watch TV shows, a new study by researchers at the University of Texas at Austin found.

Also likely to sit for an “Orange is the New Black” or “House of Cards” marathon are those who lack the ability to control themselves, according to the study of more than 300 18-to-29-year-olds.

The researchers asked questions like “How often do you feel alone?” “How many days during the past week have you felt sad?” and asked the participants how many episodes of TV they usually watch in a sitting.

Sad responses correlated with more TV binging.

“The more an individual was lonely and depressed, the more episodes the individual watched,” the report reads.

More than 80% of the binge-watchers in the study usually watched show after show by themselves.

Binge-watching, like any addiction, can lead to serious health concerns, according to the researchers.

“When binge-watching becomes rampant, viewers may neglect their work and their relationships with others may suffer. Physical fatigue and health problems such as obesity and other health problems are a cause for concern,” the study’s authors said.

Local binge-watchers begged to differ.

“It’s not true,” said Max Geller, 27, who recently watched 36 episodes of outlaw motorcycle club drama “Sons of Anarchy” in eight days.

“Any show with a cliffhanger, you just have to watch the next episode,” said Geller, an IT recruiter. “I don’t watch shows because I’m lonely ... the shows make me binge-watch.”

To pizza shop manager Kevin Quinn, 32, the study results make sense.

“Of course. People are lonely, they have nothing else to do but watch TV. And for some people, whether it be TV, smoking, drinking, moderation isn’t a word in their vocabulary.”

Quinn, who lives on Staten Island, said he hasn’t binge-watched in years — but did admit to a past marathon of AMC meth drama “Breaking Bad.”

“I don’t have the time,” he said.

The authors defined binge-watching as sitting to watch two to six episodes of the same show at a time.

Ninety-two percent of the binge watchers surveyed used Internet streaming services like Netflix and Hulu.

Particular favorites of survey participants were Netflix prison hit “Orange Is the New Black,” long-running ABC medical drama “Grey’s Anatomy,” and prime-time soap opera “Desperate Housewives.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2096473
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 09:44 AM

Re: Depression and TV viewing

I think there's truth to it - a lot of TV is depressing anyway
We need role models for the young and some good entertainment for us, instead of that - they churn out meaningless, mindless garbage ......
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 10:13 AM

I just watched a great film on Netflix earlier! I love it. I've binge watched Still Game and The Royle Family before and it fair cheered me up.

I suppose the same could be said about forums. Some folk are probably on them most of the day.

It's just what you enjoy doing, but "researchers" read too much into it. As usual!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 10:47 AM

A lot of TV is quite depressing these days, I can't watch the news any more, and the on benefits type shows do my blood pressure no good at all.

I guess we do binge watch because we will happily get out a box set and watch it over a weekend. But I don't think we are depressed we are just hibernating during the cold weather and will be back out and about more when the weather cheers up
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 10:49 AM

I binged out on Breaking Bad,not because of depression but because the damn show was addictive.Wonder if this as been factored in.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 12:46 PM

I get depressed when I see the Sky direct debit, £100,00 quid a month for that rubbish.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 12:59 PM

Binge viewing is something I do not do and I've not actually seen a good film for ages now as I find many of them too violent, too noisy or just too plain bad to waste my time on and, possible, risk sliding into depression!

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I really like to be entertained, amused or occasionally provoked into deep thought by a film, not sit through ludicrous dialogue, impossible stunts and wooden acting.

I could actually be missing some good films but to be honest I've found a lot of the hype that precedes films these days is completely misplaced so I don't bother now. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 01:14 PM

I think todays films miss the point sometimes they seem to think action or violence can replace a decent story. We watch a lot of films from years gone by, have father goose and Donovan's reef ready for this Sunday.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 02:45 PM

I've 'binged watched' Japanese anime series. Storyline is just too good to give up on with some.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think todays films miss the point sometimes they seem to think action or violence can replace a decent story. We watch a lot of films from years gone by, have father goose and Donovan's reef ready for this Sunday.

I agree Julie. Lots of the more modern films are like that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top