Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Sun damage

I've just been diagnosed as having actinic keratoses. I'm not a sun worshipper, but do like to see the sun and to have a walk in the sun. Being fair skinned I obviously have to be particularly careful and have just been prescribed Factor 50 that I must wear daily. I've never been on a sun bed on my life, nor sat sunbathing. It's my fair skin complexion that's caused it. In Australia we frequently seen evidence of people having had melanomas.

Are you a sun worshipper and/or have you had AK?

I can see me coming back from holiday in the Summer chalk white
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Re: Sun damage

Not a sun worshipper at all, I burn if I venture into the sun so have since childhood not exposed myself unless absolutely necessary. Husband has commented from time to time he will never know when I die because I can't get any more white than I already am. Lot of skin cancer in the family too as on all sides my ancestry is a lot of manual out door work so people were frequently burned and did damage to their skins out all day in the sun before sun screens were invented.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Not a sun worshiper as such, never one for lying around sunbathing, but love being outdoors. I am dark haired and ive heard that its something that can affect fair hair and skin people more.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 07:51 PM

Both my sisters had it, one lived in USA and the other in HK, KL Taiwan etc...
I lived in S.Africa for a bit but only recently have had a spot thingy checked out, have to keep an eye on it.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 08:00 PM

I'm not a sun worshipper either but did have a few sun bed sessions a few years ago but didn't last long. I am dark haired so hopefully ok.. I have always worn make up so that may have protected my face to some degree.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 08:28 PM

My dad was jet black haired and brown eyes. When he had hair My mum was a redhead and she still has reddish hair. I've obviously got her complexion. Better being safe than sorry and slap on the sunblock!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
I'm not a sun worshipper . . . . .

. . . .I can see me coming back from holiday in the Summer chalk white
Hmmm are you sure?

The condition is described as being "caused by damage from years of sun exposure"

Your comments regarding holidays and coming back white kind of suggest you care about the colour of your skin on return from holidays.

Personally I think people who are determined or obsessed to get a tan are somewhat silly and getting false tans from tanning studios or spray tans seems utterly absurd.

Just take in the level of sun exposure that your skin is comfortable with and then cover up . . with clothes not nasty creams . . imo
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

19-03-2015, 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=Realist;627658]Hmmm are you sure?

The condition is described as being "caused by damage from years of sun exposure"

Your comments regarding holidays and coming back white kind of suggest you care about the colour of your skin on return from holidays.

Personally I think people who are determined or obsessed to get a tan are somewhat silly and getting false tans from tanning studios or spray tans seems utterly absurd.

Just take in the level of sun exposure that your skin is comfortable with and then cover up . . with clothes not nasty creams . . imo [/QUOTE
Realist, that made me lol as I'm as white as white can be. Even in the sun I'm just off white, then back to white.

No, self tans are not absurd. I work alongside some beautiful young girls who love a spray tan. You are very narrow minded in this day and age. Sorry, but the truth.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yes that is correct, the condition is also known as Solar Keratoses.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 10:18 PM

There is nothing "beautiful" about a girl with a spray tan. In fact it is very un-beautiful and very sad to see. Just as it is sad to see girls plastered in make-up, loads of foundations and powders and so on.

It is nothing more than social conditioning and media programming that makes people think/believe the notion that false tans are "beautiful".

Those girls in later life will come to regret abusing their skin in their younger years and doing so by being "sheep" following the trends of the day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top