Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 12:24 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

well last night at approx 6pm the monsoon season started around our way. I had often watched those old movies of jungle scenes in the old Malaya or Singapore. There stood the Ma;am Saab gin and tonic in hand on the porch of her jungle home bleating " Oh darling the monsoons have started early this year"

Yes I now not only know but can feel what she felt - the start of the monsoons is a magical moment - oppressive heat has been born for long months - we've been hitting 37 C lately and then the rumble starts and we hold our breathes in case it disappears - no it grows louder and then those first pitter patters on the galvanized roof that heralds the orchestral beginning of the monsoon rains! - I sat with me pipe and bourbon on the rocks and was indeed a contented man - rather like Kirk Douglas in " Bridge over the river Kwai" !
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 09:17 AM

Jem,
I agree with you re "Showing" the old days as they were.

But I take my hat off to the BBC excellence in producing breathtaking accuracy in their DRAMAS & HiSTORICAL productions, in both costume , sets & location.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 03:07 PM

Actually the BBC period productions were in the back of my mind at the time of typing it RJ, I have always remarked to the wife how detailed they are, full credit to them.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Ah the monsoon Gummy.
When suddenly “Down came the wrain, the thunder and the lightning”

And then there were the tropical diseases to contend with, in reality they were probably a few Scabby Saabs infected with God knows what.

Your old enough to remember this Gummy, if you’ve never heard it before it starts off as a slow love song then there’s a sudden change, caused by the weather.

A man is struggling through the desert, parched throat and dry lips craving water. Five minutes later he picks up a cricket ball, disgusted he throws it away. Ten minutes later he finds another cricket ball and discards it with a sigh, he struggles on till finally he picks up a castrated cricket.

Do you get that sound of a million crickets cricketing? or are there no crickets there?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

19-11-2018, 04:22 PM

They seem to have a day for everything now, it gets a bit confusing for an old lad like me.
Today is World Toilet Day, nothing on here about it though, are we all expected to give a shit?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 04:31 PM

gets a bit repetitive don't you think us ozzies would have slung that in the pond ages ago! - but I do share a pearl of joy with you having watched today the 1920/30 film "the Oracle" set somewhere in or off the coast of Ireland - I won't spoil it anymore but a Jem of a film - one of those to be treasured rather than repetitive and a joy to be sure to be sure - if you've seen it you will appreciate my thoughts - if not well worth a try!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 10:16 PM

Hello from NYC.
I'm worn out today.
I will be taking lots of pics.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 10:31 PM

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

19-11-2018, 11:01 PM

“Time is precious to a rich man, he worries about how much of it he has left, whereas time is all the poor man has yet he thinks nothing of it’s passing” (George B. Shaw)

This is by that very talented artist Julian Beever, brilliant is it not.

By the way I’ve been following with interest the restoration work they’re doing on Big Ben, I noticed work on any of the 4 dials has not started yet, but I shouldn’t worry, last reports said the men were working around the clock.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2018, 11:10 PM

Ding Dong.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top