Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 05:40 PM

Re: Help Please With A Recipe....

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi SG,

I don't like Coley, I use Cod and Smoked Haddock for fish pie.

attagirl

and .. am I the only one that uses fennel? I discovered this trick by accident, and it works really well.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 08:14 PM

thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/fish-pie

Here we go SG, got the right link this time.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 08:16 PM

dOOd, my BIL is uses fennel a lot for fish, but I've never used it, i'm scare in case it over powers the fish.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 08:48 PM

Fennel is great for certain fish, esp Sea Bass.

For fish pie you just throw whatever fish you have into it, but ideally, it wants/needs some smoked haddock (finney haddock). That's the classic fish pie taste.

I personally wouldn't want salmon in it. Part of that is because there is almost NO decent healthy salmon any more. It's all been farmed or else it is wild but contaminated by the fish farms effluence. Look at any salmon in the shops and the stripes in it will be wide stripes. The stripes are fat and indicate the fish hasn't been allowed to exercise, to swim free and hard.

The only salmon that comes anywhere near "real" is the deep red Alaskan salmon but its taste is not for everyone.

If you can stretch to the expense of scallops (esp Queen scallops) then definitely throw some of those in the pie. They give good texture and taste.

Aside from the just about any white chunky fish is good. Cod, Haddock, Pollack, Hake etc. A real treat and again an expense would be some monkfish. A real meaty fish with superb flavour.

Yum
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 09:11 PM

I was at a fish market stall recently, and they had dried out (probably puking smelly too but I didn't get close enough) cubes of different fish on sale as a fish pie ingredient. No thank you.

Fish pie ought to be taken more seriously.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 11:55 PM

Shropshiregirl, Have you considered making a court bouillon ? It would ad a considerable amount of flavor AND you could freeze the leftover court bouillon.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes darlin' - COLEY!!!

Wrap pieces of fish in foil (with a knob of butter), place on a flat tray and bake in oven for approx 20 mins. Remove from oven, flake into a casserole dish, pour cheese sauce over fish, cover with mashed potato and add slices of or grate cheese over the potato. Return to oven and bake until cheese melts and turns golden brown.
Thanks UJ. I've copied this into my menu folder. xx
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Hi SG
I love fish pie too ..
This one doesnt need salmon in it...see if it floats your boat!

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/25493...-fish-pie.aspx
Wow Aysa, thats a nice recipe. have emailed it to myself and will copy it into my menu folder. Thank you so much xx
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-08-2018, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
What about mostly white fish, say cod, mixed with some yellow smoked haddock?
That was the problem d00d, I don't know what it would taste like without the salmon and prawns. Would be quite happy to use just cod and smoked haddock, but without a recipe, it could turn out to be tasteless or bland. Fresh fish is too expensive to experiment a dish, hence very grateful to tried and tested recipes such as yours. goodness, will be spoiled for choice with these lovely recipes. thanks very much xx
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-08-2018, 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=Barry;1475795]We never use prawns SG, they overcook so easily and end up tough and tasteless, so why not just do as we do, omit the prawns completely but then replace the salmon with the same quantity of smoked fish maybe haddock or even smoked mackerel for a stronger flavour. [/QUOTET

Thought of that myself Barry, but never having tried it, just hated the thought of serving up a fish pie that was bland without the salmon and prawns which 99% of fish recipes online always insist on including, and especially after spending money at the fishmonger. I will certainly try this if you vouch for it being tasty with flavour. Thank you so much x

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top