Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 05:07 PM

Tasks which require a bit of strength

I am only 5' 2.5" in height, but quite strong. I built a soakaway once many years ago, and more recently managed to bring a wardrobe downstairs. I have cut down trees and many other tasks more often associated with the male of the species.

I am sure there are other women on this forum who are just as capable as the male of the species of doing such tasks.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 05:15 PM

Re: Tasks which require a bit of strength

I never have believed in the concept of man's work or women's work - to me it is whom ever is around with the skills needed and the time to complete the task. If it happens to be me - so be it - I deal with it.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 05:16 PM

Good on you, Tara. You're a hunk of a lady I'll have to get you to my gym and you can show me your stuff
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 05:22 PM

I used to be able to do lots of things, digging, building things, making ponds but no longer.
The other day I passed a garden, in it was a little lady of at least 70 years old laying patio slabs (no not that sort of egg laying), she was down on her knees getting on with it!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 05:59 PM

It's one of the times I miss my husband (obviously I miss him at other times too) for some brute force or muscle.

I've surprised myself that so far I've managed most things either on my own of with a hand from a friend but there are some strength related jobs I really struggle with. I can still wrangle with fence panels and this summer I relaid some block paving and slabs.

But thanks to an accident earlier this year everything I try to do seems to aggravate a back injury. I won't give up trying though, I really hate asking for help.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 06:16 PM

My daughter was laying labs in her garden the other week. She made a good job of it too.
When I started painting my bathroom and got really fed up that I was struggling balance on the ladder to paint, she got the roller and paint out one Sunday and painted the whole bathroom for me.
I'm fed up I cannot even seem to paint straight lines these days.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 06:25 PM

While I have had probably had to manage more than my share of strength work over the years (and happy with the skills I have acquired), I am wise enough to acknowledge that there jobs that require men - who by design - have the strength that I wouldn't even pretend to have. It's not worth risking a back or knee injury trying to think that I can do it all.

On the few occasions that I have had to ask for help, I've never had a situation in which the gentleman on the job hasn't been absolutely lovely about it. I am most grateful for the help, and I think most men appreciate the acknowledgement of their abilities. Why not!

In turn, I have put more than a few girls' hair in pony tails, watched so a man's daughter could go into a bathroom unattended, and done a few other niceties for men - including strangers.

I think the world is a lot better place when we try to help each other out, anticipate the needs of others, and even ask for help.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Good on you, Tara. You're a hunk of a lady I'll have to get you to my gym and you can show me your stuff
No thanks a gym has never appealed to me. I get plenty of exercise on a daily basis as it is.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 06:33 PM

Oh gosh, I just reread my post....

When I wrote "niceties," I was thinking along the line of preparing a meal.

Yikes. Word choice.

Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 06:58 PM

I labour to my husband a lot

In work the weights I have to life above my head are 25kg

Many a young lad throws the bowl in by 10am tea break

Right now we are building an extension, guess who's wheel borrowing. the ten ton of soil???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top