Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 07:40 PM

Marine Aquarium

Hi

My new to me aquarium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPmuJqj8Mq4

I have just the tank, and stand and system, corals and fish come later.

It is much smaller than my old one, which was 3ft tall, but much more sensible and easier to manage.

Less than a year old and the owner had spent over £400 on upgrading the lighting and skimmer.

I was going to spray it white, but the Pretendies like it black, so we shall see.

I have a contact who can wrap it in white vinyl if needs be.

I love my fish, so relaxing to watch.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 08:41 PM

Re: Marine Aquarium

Lovely Swimmers.

We also love Fish and Corals.

We started off when we got married with Tropical Fish, then went over to Marine Fish & Invertabrates.

Yellow Tangs.
Powder Blues.
Crown Fish.

At one time even had Sea Horses.

But the marine fish are so expensive to buy, then we got flooded and the Tank was ruined, so we gave it up and gave the Fish to a Shop that were selling Marine fish and Tropical.

We still have the Tank and Unit which is 4ft long and one day when we do move we will have a Fish Tank again, but I might stick to the Tropical ones as they are a lot cheaper.

I would rather sit and watch the Fish swimming around then watching TV.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 09:03 AM

How long does it take for the tank to mature before you can add fish ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 09:22 AM

Hi

Normally about six weeks for a couple of fish, longer for invertebrates and corals.

You have to wait for the ammonia to convert to nitrite then nitrate and all readings must be zero.

I am a scientist, I am already brewing something up to accelerate the process.

I have just started to sterilise the tank and equipment, don't want any carry over nasties.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Normally about six weeks for a couple of fish, longer for invertebrates and corals.

You have to wait for the ammonia to convert to nitrite then nitrate and all readings must be zero.

I am a scientist, I am already brewing something up to accelerate the process.

I have just started to sterilise the tank and equipment, don't want any carry over nasties.
Can you not use 'Stresscoat'? I'm sure they do one for aquariums.

Should look great, there's nothing more relaxing than watching fish swim around.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-10-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Can you not use 'Stresscoat'? I'm sure they do one for aquariums.

Should look great, there's nothing more relaxing than watching fish swim around.
Hi

No, it cannot be used to condition water for marines.

The water has to be deionised and then mixed with sea salt.

It takes 1 cubic litre of my tapwater through my filters to get 100 litres of water suitable for mixing.

It also takes time for the filter bacteria to grow and colonise the live rock.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 01:45 PM

Swimmy will you post some pics when it is finished?
I would love to see some.
Please. X
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 02:06 PM

When we first did Marine Fish we were a bit naïve about them and we had a few Clowns and our friend who used to work at Tropical Fish said he would help us to set it all up etc. Then one day when we had all our Fish and Invertabrates in, one of the Invertabrates had turned upside down, so our friend said he will put his hand in and turn it up the right way, in doing this two Clowns came after him and stung him, we ended up at the Hospital with our friend with a swollen blue hand.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
When we first did Marine Fish we were a bit naïve about them and we had a few Clowns and our friend who used to work at Tropical Fish said he would help us to set it all up etc. Then one day when we had all our Fish and Invertabrates in, one of the Invertabrates had turned upside down, so our friend said he will put his hand in and turn it up the right way, in doing this two Clowns came after him and stung him, we ended up at the Hospital with our friend with a swollen blue hand.
Nasty
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

18-12-2018, 07:45 AM

Hi

An update, as it is now.

New Corals going in, some today, some more before Christmas, my present to myself.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181217_200903.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	8194  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top