Join for free
Page 3 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 02:51 PM

Re: Is Democracy Dead?

[QUOTE=Solasch;1546927]
Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->

That is why I am quite happy you are leaving. From the point of UK interests however, it is a stupid move.
Ok Solasch, you can be the first to tell us why it is a stupid move. All the people opposed to Brexit tells us what a stupid move it is, but no one, has told us why.. not to my knowledge. We get mutterings about ridiculous ideas of needing visas to travel in Europe (we never did before) and the planes might stop flying, the queues at the tunnels etc. but I would like some truths and hard facts about why we would be better off staying in the EU community.

p.s. we are more happy than you are that we are leaving.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=Solasch;1546924]
Originally Posted by Judd ->

Why do you think Cameron had to declare beforehand that the outcome of the referendum would be followed. If it was NOT advisory that was superfluous.
https://fullfact.org/europe/was-eu-referendum-advisory/
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 03:13 PM

[QUOTE=Puddle Duck;1546930]
Originally Posted by Solasch ->

Ok Solasch, you can be the first to tell us why it is a stupid move. All the people opposed to Brexit tells us what a stupid move it is, but no one, has told us why.. not to my knowledge. We get mutterings about ridiculous ideas of needing visas to travel in Europe (we never did before) not while being in the EU, afterwards howeverand the planes might stop flying, the queues at the tunnels etc. but I would like some truths and hard facts about why we would be better off staying in the EU community.
That is not so hard to deduce as you might think. Article 50 states that EU is obliged to offer negotiation to a leaving member. That member is not under the same obligation.
In starting negotiations the UK admits there are negative effects it wants to minimize. If there are positive effects far outweighing any disadvantages, why negotiate at all? So the negative effect must be substantial enough to negotiate. If your government does not give more accurate information, there must be a national interest not to do so.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 03:23 PM

I'm really looking forward to tucking into a nice fat juicy Sovereignty steak.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

18-10-2018, 03:30 PM

You can. We won't because it's too expensive due to customs on goods imported from the UK. Luckily you can eat them all yourself and do not need the export to the EU.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 04:00 PM

You can. We won't because it's too expensive due to customs on goods imported from the UK. Luckily you can eat them all yourself and do not need the export to the EU.
Sorry, think you have missed the point there
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=Judd;1546883]

What nonsense. A typical response of those who voted to remain. Nowhere in the run-up to the referendum or after it did it say that the vote was advisory. In his speech after the result, David Cameron stated in the Commons that the will of the people as been heard and should be heeded.

From his speech:

"Mr Speaker, the British people have voted to leave the European Union. It was not the result I wanted – nor the outcome that I believed is best for the country I love. But there can be no doubt about the result.

Of course, I don’t take back what I said about the risks. It is going to be difficult. We have already seen that there are going to be adjustments within our economy, complex constitutional issues, and a challenging new negotiation to undertake with Europe. But I am clear – and the Cabinet agreed this morning – that the decision must be accepted and the process of implementing the decision in the best possible way must now begin."

You can read the full article here:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...m-27-june-2016
And you can read the European Referendum Act 2015 (c. 36) HERE;

The European Union Referendum Act 2015 (c. 36) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that made a legal provision for a non-binding referendum to be held in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Gibraltar, on whether it should remain a member state of the European Union or leave it.

As Solasch says it was non-binding!!!
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=Puddle Duck;1546930]

Ok Solasch, you can be the first to tell us why it is a stupid move. All the people opposed to Brexit tells us what a stupid move it is, but no one, has told us why.. not to my knowledge. We get mutterings about ridiculous ideas of needing visas to travel in Europe (we never did before) and the planes might stop flying, the queues at the tunnels etc. but I would like some truths and hard facts about why we would be better off staying in the EU community.

p.s. we are more happy than you are that we are leaving.
And I, and many others haven't seen any reasons for leaving that haven't been shot down in flames.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

18-10-2018, 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=itsme;1547001]
Originally Posted by Judd ->

And you can read the European Referendum Act 2015 (c. 36) HERE;

The European Union Referendum Act 2015 (c. 36) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that made a legal provision for a non-binding referendum to be held in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Gibraltar, on whether it should remain a member state of the European Union or leave it.

As Solasch says it was non-binding!!!
Well non-binding is rather a big word for insular narrow minded people to understand.
itsme
Wigan UK

18-10-2018, 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=Purwell;1547003]
Originally Posted by itsme ->
Well non-binding is rather a big word for insular narrow minded people to understand.
Couldn't possibly make comment on that Purwell

Page 3 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top