Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Re: Home made dog biscuits

Originally Posted by Beautiful Filly ->
Hi Julie...I too have a great recipe for dog treats but, I'll not post it here as there's a lot of ingredients...and you've plenty of recipes posted here already.

I've been making this recipe for many, many years and had no complaints as of yet. I get the special cello doggie bags from The Bulk Store and do them up for Christmas in all different shapes and sizes.

Once baked...mine have to stay in the fridge, because of course they're no preservatives in them...

All of the doggies in my family receive them for Christmas from Santa...
I guess Gracie liked the ones we brought down to you. Marilyn makes them for all the dogs around this area and for Christmas. They are all natural as well.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Where do you get buck wheat flour from mups ? I'd like to try it but tesco don't seem to have it online.

Hi Julie, I get mine from Waitrose, but I believe Sainsburys and Holland & Barrett sell it as well.

If you can't get Buckwheat, I reckon Spelt would be fine, so don't worry.

Just a bit of info on the Buckwheat here:

"A power-packed grain, buckwheat is special in that it contains many essential amino acids as well as a sunstance called Rutin which helps strengthen thje capillaries and aids the circulation.
An excellent grain for cold weather months because of the warming effects on the body.
It is a gluten-free grain with a sweet flavour which cleanses the intestines and improves appetite."

I use the "Dinner for Dogs" book by Henrietta Morrison (from Lily's Kitchen). I love her recipes.

The little book has all sorts, not just biscuits.
It has dinners to cook for old dogs, or recovering from illness recipes, special treats, and loads of stuff, and she explains every ingredient properly.
She also explains how to understand dog food labelling ingredients, and what not to feed our dogs.

This is the one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinner-Dogs.../dp/0091947073
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hi Julie, I get mine from Waitrose, but I believe Sainsburys and Holland & Barrett sell it as well.

If you can't get Buckwheat, I reckon Spelt would be fine, so don't worry.

Just a bit of info on the Buckwheat here:

"A power-packed grain, buckwheat is special in that it contains many essential amino acids as well as a sunstance called Rutin which helps strengthen thje capillaries and aids the circulation.
An excellent grain for cold weather months because of the warming effects on the body.
It is a gluten-free grain with a sweet flavour which cleanses the intestines and improves appetite."

I use the "Dinner for Dogs" book by Henrietta Morrison (from Lily's Kitchen). I love her recipes.

The little book has all sorts, not just biscuits.
It has dinners to cook for old dogs, or recovering from illness recipes, special treats, and loads of stuff, and she explains every ingredient properly.
She also explains how to understand dog food labelling ingredients, and what not to feed our dogs.

This is the one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinner-Dogs.../dp/0091947073
I have a waitrose just down the road any excuse to go in there so I'll pop in and have a look for it.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Thanks Julie.

Here's one I posted ages ago when we had a thread about dog treats.

Sweet Potato Treats

I have just made a load of Sweet Potato treats for my dogs, they love 'em.

Here goes incase anyone fancies trying them on their pooches:

Set oven at 120 c

Some sweet Potatoes. (I used 4 smallish ones, but you might only want one if you only have one dog).

Method:

Scrub, then just lice them up, skin and all, into about third of an inch thick slices. Mine might be a tad thicker.

Arrange them onto some baking parchment and bake in this very gentle heat for about 3 hours. It is really to dry them out more than cook them.

Turn over half way through cooking.

That's all there is to it.
They will keep in an airtight box in the fridge for up to 3 weeks, or you can freeze them, though I never have.

Mine luv 'em.
Ive made a batch of these Mups several months ago when I first saw your recipe.
They came out really well and my little dog loved them!
I also posted some off to a friend for his dog too but made them a lot bigger as he has a big dog,they went down a storm!!! lol
Note to add I meant your fishy treats not the sweet potato ones.
I shall be trying the sweet potato one out too though.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I just put oats on the work top and roll the dough around in that, and I have a fan oven I put on just below the lowest temperature on the dial. Blimey I'm no help am I chuck it in no temperature on the dial
Not a problem I improvised and used coconut oil instead of butter.

These recipes are gluten free & vegan. ( vegan for dogs)

Sweet potato Dog Biscuits

2 cups oats
1/2 cup of cooked sweet potato
2 to 3 tbsps. coconut oil
2 to 3 tbsps. water

1/. Cook sweet potatoes first and let cook
2/. Preheat over to 350 degrees
3/. Grind oats in food processor until flour like consistency
4/. Alternately add oats and coconut oil to the sweet potatoes as well as water
5/. Knead and roll out to a 3 to 4 millimetre consistency
6/. Cut into cookie shapes and bake on parchment paper or use insulated cookie tray for approximately 20 minutes ( depending on shape )

Note: Bake until bottoms are golden brown

Let cool and store in fridge or freezer in a sealed container . Will last in fridge for approximately a month or two.

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 07:57 PM

Gluten free / Vegan Dog Biscuits

Nut butter & Banana

2 cups rolled or quick oats
1/3 cup nut butter
1 ripe banana
Optional : gluten free flour for rolling / dusting

Note: use real nut butter , not processed since there are other ingredients that disagree with dogs ( added sugars, hydrogenated oils, preservatives etc )in processed butters.

In food processor, grind oats until flour like consistency

Add butter and banana.

Add a drop off or two of water for better consistency

Roll out to 3 millimetre consistency and use cookie cutters to shape earth

Place on baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
The biscuits should be hard and dry but watch that they don’t burn

Note: This batch I used a coarse grind on the oats. I also didn’t use parchment paper since I have insulated cookie trays
Fresh almond butter was used instead of peanut butter.

Store in sealed container for a month or two. These can also be frozen in freezer bags or sealed container.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 10:49 PM

Hi Bratti, they look very nice, but do you mind telling which nuts go into the 'Nut Butter' please, as not all nuts are safe for dogs - for example Walnuts, Pecans and Macadania.

I hope you don't think me rude if I just reiterate about any possible Xylitol again too.

Quote:

Almonds, like peanuts, aren't toxic to dogs, in whole or butter form. ... So if you want to feed your dog nut butters, moderation is key.
CAUTION: Do NOT feed your pet any nut butter containing the artificial sweetener xylitol, a substance extremely toxic to dogs. Choose all natural, unsweetened, and unsalted varieties.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

07-11-2018, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Gluten free / Vegan Dog Biscuits
Fresh almond butter was used instead of peanut butter.
Almond butter is used in place of peanut butter. The reason I changed the choice of nut is because peanuts are legumes and can cause excess gas in some dogs.
Hi Bratti, do you mind telling which nuts go into the 'Nut Butter' please, as not all nuts are safe for dogs. Thanks.
Sure Mups. I understand that concern. Each biscuit recipe has only three ingredients which are listed and I researched before using them. The almond butter ingredients: almonds

Thanks for the ideas Julie & Mups
I will try the fish one later .

P.S. My girls love them
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-11-2018, 11:06 PM

Thank you Bratti.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

07-11-2018, 11:12 PM

Thank you Bratti.
You are very welcome Mups

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top