Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 01:09 PM

Re: Labour and Brexit.

Originally Posted by JBR;1570291f
That is the distinct impression that I get, the more I hear about them.

I often wonder how other EU countries feel about them, having heard how they are dictating to, and demanding from us during these Brexit discussions.
Hi

They are not leaving, just telling the EU to naff off.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've just been watching TM trying to explain herself in Parliament.

Some great fat oaf from the SNP tried to complain that in her written statement there was absolutely no mention of Scotland.

So, I'd like to know why, in her written statement there was absolutely no mention of Yorkshire!

I'd love to see another Scottish independence referendum. I'd vote in favour of it, because I am heartily sick and tired of hearing the SNP members (and especially the Fish Woman) constantly whingeing.
Aye, but she soon took him down a peg when she explained that Scotland is part of the UK where NI isn't and that NI, Gib and parts of Cyprus have land borders with EU member countries. A prime example of engaging brain before opening mouth.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Aye, but she soon took him down a peg when she explained that Scotland is part of the UK where NI isn't and that NI, Gib and parts of Cyprus have land borders with EU member countries. A prime example of engaging brain before opening mouth.
Sorry to disagree, but NI is part of the UK.

However, it's true what she said, that NI has a land border with the EU (like Gibraltar and part of Cyprus) but Scotland doesn't, however much the SNP wish it had!

Another question is, why is the EU arguing about the NI land border, but not with the other two mentioned?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Sorry to disagree, but NI is part of the UK.

However, it's true what she said, that NI has a land border with the EU (like Gibraltar and part of Cyprus) but Scotland doesn't, however much the SNP wish it had!

Another question is, why is the EU arguing about the NI land border, but not with the other two mentioned?
My mistake. Should have said part of Great Britain.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 05:28 PM

On cyprus it concerns two military bases, hardly used for import and export of goods and services.
95% of gibraltar's citizens voted to stay in the eu. Gibraltar in itself is not an entrance to the eu. Something to do with apes sitting on a rock.
Gibraltar is not in the schengen area, so transport control of pasports between spain and gibraltar has always existed.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Are you sure that Cyprus has a land border with the EU? my understanding is that Northern Cyprus is Turkish!!!!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Are you sure that Cyprus has a land border with the EU? my understanding is that Northern Cyprus is Turkish!!!!
The British bases are classed as British soil, I believe.

From Wiki:

The Republic of Cyprus has de jure sovereignty over the entire island, including its territorial waters and exclusive economic zone, with the exception of the Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia, which remain under British control according to the London and Zürich Agreements. However, the Republic of Cyprus is de facto partitioned into two main parts: the area under the effective control of the Republic, located in the south and west, and comprising about 59% of the island's area; and the north,[26] administered by the self-declared Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, covering about 36% of the island's area. Another nearly 4% of the island's area is covered by the UN buffer zone. The international community considers the northern part of the island as territory of the Republic of Cyprus occupied by Turkish forces.[27][28][29][30][31] The occupation is viewed as illegal under international law, amounting to illegal occupation of EU territory since Cyprus became a member of the European Union.[32]
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Are you saying that EU is a dictatorship won't let anyone leave ? my goodness we must leave no deal in that case.
You know exactly what I am saying, but can't, through dogma and radicalisation accept it.

There is no better deal than the one we are in now
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
The British bases are classed as British soil, I believe.

:
he UK has retained two Sovereign Base Areas (SBAs) on Cyprus under the 1960 Treaty of Establishment for the independence of its former colony Cyprus: the base of Akrotiri and the base of Dhekelia. They are not just composed of an airfield or a military harbor: they are like small towns, with factories, schools, agricultural fields, and more that 7,700 native cypriots live in the area themselves (CIA, 2018). The two military zones have British Overseas Territory status, such as St-Barthelemy since 2012, which means that they are out of the EU. Therefore, there are less implications than with Gibraltar or Ulster for instance, which is in the EU. However, the two bases do apply and respect some EU laws because of a Protocol annexed to the Act of Accession of Cyprus in 2004.
Briefly speaking, the two military bases are 254 km square, and geostrategically useful to monitor and intercept data transmissions from the Middle East. While Akrotiri only has a border with Greek Cyprus, Dhekelia only has a small boundary, the rest of it is conterminous with the Turkish-Cypriot administered area, which is outside the EU.
Brexit could impact the free movement of Cypriot workers in the SBAs, as well as their right to settle, openly start business, get their social security, and freely send their children to the few schools present in the zones. If there’s no overall Brexit deal, Cypriot farmers producing goods in the base areas may not get any subsidies from the Common Agricultural Policy for instance.

Moreover, Akrotiri and Dhekelia followed Cyprus after the adoption of the euro in 2008, making the Sovereign Base Areas the only territory under British sovereignty to officially use the euro. Consequently, will the euro stay eligible after Brexit? It is likely since these two territories are already outside the euro area anyway, but we never know, it’s something to keep in mind. Finally, even the sovereignty of the area around the bases themselves could be at stake.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
he UK has retained two Sovereign Base Areas (SBAs) on Cyprus under the 1960 Treaty of Establishment for the independence of its former colony Cyprus: the base of Akrotiri and the base of Dhekelia. They are not just composed of an airfield or a military harbor: they are like small towns, with factories, schools, agricultural fields, and more that 7,700 native cypriots live in the area themselves (CIA, 2018). The two military zones have British Overseas Territory status, such as St-Barthelemy since 2012, which means that they are out of the EU. Therefore, there are less implications than with Gibraltar or Ulster for instance, which is in the EU. However, the two bases do apply and respect some EU laws because of a Protocol annexed to the Act of Accession of Cyprus in 2004.
Briefly speaking, the two military bases are 254 km square, and geostrategically useful to monitor and intercept data transmissions from the Middle East. While Akrotiri only has a border with Greek Cyprus, Dhekelia only has a small boundary, the rest of it is conterminous with the Turkish-Cypriot administered area, which is outside the EU.
Brexit could impact the free movement of Cypriot workers in the SBAs, as well as their right to settle, openly start business, get their social security, and freely send their children to the few schools present in the zones. If there’s no overall Brexit deal, Cypriot farmers producing goods in the base areas may not get any subsidies from the Common Agricultural Policy for instance.

Moreover, Akrotiri and Dhekelia followed Cyprus after the adoption of the euro in 2008, making the Sovereign Base Areas the only territory under British sovereignty to officially use the euro. Consequently, will the euro stay eligible after Brexit? It is likely since these two territories are already outside the euro area anyway, but we never know, it’s something to keep in mind. Finally, even the sovereignty of the area around the bases themselves could be at stake.

http://eyes-on-europe.eu/brexits-impacts-cyprus/

You're welcome.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top