Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 01:19 AM

Re: The Bear in My Yard

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Totally with you on this and your stance on guns.
Here, in UK, we don't have dangerous wild creatures other than the rarely seen Adder, a venomous snake. In my seventy odd years I have never seen even one.
A gun for me triggers PTSD because of my brother. I can't even stand to be around them. When my dad was young, they hunted deer to survive. He was very poor. I understand that. Mom and Dad didn't have a lot of money either. So they hunted deer and had rifles. I had no problem with the guns being around. Now, my husband keeps his, which he never uses, hidden away so I don't have to see them. If he dies before me, I will take them to the police station to get rid of them. I cannot tolerate them. They were designed to kill living things. I'd rather die than shoot something or someone. I would never get over it. It would violate my very soul.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
The only thing I know about wallabies is what I see in documentaries. So they are fast. Do people tame them and keep them as pets? Do you live in town or in a rural setting?
I live in "the bush" - kangaroos and wallabies can be partially trained - if you watch the doco kangaroo Dundee you'll see how!
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 04:28 AM

I discovered that Kangaroo Dundee is on Youtube - or at least that's what they say. I'll see if I can locate and watch it. I like documentaries about things I know little about.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
I discovered that Kangaroo Dundee is on Youtube - or at least that's what they say. I'll see if I can locate and watch it. I like documentaries about things I know little about.
I think you'll find it is and I am sure you'll enjoy every moment!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 01:00 PM

In Australia the worst predators are the drop bears they especially target tourists - we lose several visitors year.

Sage
U. S.

17-11-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I think you'll find it is and I am sure you'll enjoy every moment!
Thank you. It should be interesting.
Sage
U. S.

17-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
In Australia the worst predators are the drop bears they especially target tourists - we lose several visitors year.

That's what I've heard.

For those who want to know and are concerned I might be naive, uninformed and therefore vulnerable, here's a link to an article by the U. S. National Park Service on what to do if you see a bear and if it attacks, including a little about bear pepper spray. It is the best thing to have in case you need it and how to use it. And it does say, if you are attacked it is best to fight back.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/safety.htm
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 06:41 PM

That must be amazing Sage to see them in your garden, should you not be carrying bear spray?
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Way worse than your killer sharks, spiders, snakes, Mick Taylors
Sage
U. S.

17-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
That must be amazing Sage to see them in your garden, should you not be carrying bear spray?
I am. Please watch the video. As mentioned I am not uninformed about this. I didn't see them in the garden. The camera caught them at night and across the field in the neighbors' yard. And as mentioned the apples were missing all at once.

By the way someone earlier mentioned I should carry a gun. Wrong. A wounded bear is much more dangerous.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top