Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 09:55 AM

Re: Written English

Just for the record, this thread was inspired by reading some advertising in a local paper here. It made use of a lot of "modern" language, i.e. similar to text speak.
It did not refer to anyone's posts on here, and was not meant to offend or insult anyone. So I apologise if it did.
Spitfire, I think you are spot on.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sloppy Text = sloppy nation, end of, imo.
I dunno about that lol.

Take Facebook for instance. I have nieces and nephews on there that write total garbage. A lot of it is made from mobile phones so the less typing they have to do the better. A whole new range of words has been created because of this. Mangled English is the order of the day. Meet the same members of my family in real life though and you will find them considerate, well spoken and eloquent .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:09 AM

'colloquialism' is a regional term of speech ..... not text.
There are many on here that speak in 'their' way, which must really irritate some - so ignore those posts is the answer.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
'colloquialism' is a regional term of speech ..... not text.
There are many on here that speak in 'their' way, which must really irritate some - so ignore those posts is the answer.
Blimey Pats. What with your blocking of people and ignoring of posts it makes me wonder how much of this forum you are actually viewing .

Then again maybe I am blocked too .
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I have a friend who is dyslexic and practically illiterate, he also drinks too much. He posts on Facebook a fair bit and it does take quite an effort to understand his utterings at times but in them are some pretty good observations and thoughts. I don't care what people put down to be honest. It is what the words contain is the stuff I am interested in.
Very Astute.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Blimey Pats. What with your blocking of people and ignoring of posts it makes me wonder how much of this forum you are actually viewing .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Then again maybe I am blocked too .
Yea - fussy little mare aint I
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:21 AM

I have several different ways of writing: formal, informal and casual and each is used in its proper way.

I would never write a letter in informal or casual style if it is a formal letter and, of course, vice versa; it's all about context.

Similarly, I tend not to write formally on a forum as, in my opinion, it's inappropriate and, like others on here, on a forum I tend to type as I would speak as this form of communication is more akin to conversation.

I don't have a problem with text speak either - to refuse to understand it means you alienate yourself from those who do use it but then I'm used to working with young people and my two young granddaughters use it (although they do try not to with me - like I'm some antiquated dinosaur that can't grasp it ).
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:29 AM

When I got my first mobile 'phone, my daughter bought me a book on text speak. In those days it cost per letter I think, so the shorter the message the less it cost.

I'm guilty of using terms like 'dunno' occasionally but only to friends on here or close family.
I too was a secretary, and the apostrophe was a torment! More so for my boss than myself, who continually corrected my 'mistakes' which were his own

So, all in all, I agree Ania

Btw .. my granddaughter thinks I'm 'cool' - 'way to go nan!'
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Just for the record, this thread was inspired by reading some advertising in a local paper here. It made use of a lot of "modern" language, i.e. similar to text speak.
It did not refer to anyone's posts on here, and was not meant to offend or insult anyone. So I apologise if it did.
Spitfire, I think you are spot on.
Didn't take any offense from the OP, seemed a fairly normal question to be asking these days with the proliferation of different ways of communicating.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top