Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 10:23 AM

Re: Babies and Dogs

I love my dog he's almost 3yrs now , you couldn't wish for a sweeter nature , would I leave him alone with a child never!
That's where the problem lies lack supervision also slack lazy owners with untrained dogs that have been aloud to turn into possible killing machines.
You have to prove you're competent to drive the car maybe the time has come for dog owners to prove they are worthy of owning a Dog.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I can understand that t but that doesn't address the problem does it ?

Exactly, Julie. Killing the dog will do nothing to save the next baby. It's education that is needed.
The point I was making is, health visitors check on everybody's preparations for a new baby and completely over look any animals that might live there too., and they have no trained personnel to ask for back up if they're concerned.

To quote a bit more:

"Too often we expect dogs to immediately fit into the demands of the family home and there is little out there by way of education for ecpectant mums and their families, and owners are ignoring the signs their dogs are showing long before an attack happens.

* A survey showed 44% of parents would elave a child under 11 alone with a dog.

* Over half of children questioned thought a growling dog is actually smiling.

* One fifth of parents have seen their child sit or lie on a dog. 18% of children pull a dogs tail, and 14 % shout or hit a dog.

* 46% of new parents found it challenging to cope with their dog and a new baby.

* Over 52% of parents said they would like to see more guidance from health professionals on how to introduce their new arrival to their current dog.

So you see why I say Tara, that your idea of ripping the dog apart will do nothing to save the next child - it's guidance and education that is needed.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 11:42 AM

No it wouldn't, but I would have felt better about it. Any dog which shows the slightest aggression should be immediately put down, imo.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 11:46 AM

Like I said . . lack of education and guidance.

It is much easier and less time consuming to destroy than educate parents AND children on how to be 'dog aware.'

Why should any animal have to put up with being poked, prodded, screamed at, bashed on the head with toys, sat on or climbed on?

What would be our reaction if we were sound asleep, or not feeling at all well, or maybe anxious about a situation we had not asked for, and we were suddenly 'invaded' or even hurt? If we repeatedly had things poked in our eyes or ears and were not allowed to sleep etc?
What if we repeatedly asked to be left alone, but this was totally ignored and the harrassment continued?
I wonder how we'd feel, and how someone killing next door's dog would help me?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 11:53 AM

Personally I would prefer to have a dog than a child.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Exactly, Julie. Killing the dog will do nothing to save the next baby. It's education that is needed.
The point I was making is, health visitors check on everybody's preparations for a new baby and completely over look any animals that might live there too., and they have no trained personnel to ask for back up if they're concerned.

To quote a bit more:

"Too often we expect dogs to immediately fit into the demands of the family home and there is little out there by way of education for ecpectant mums and their families, and owners are ignoring the signs their dogs are showing long before an attack happens.

* A survey showed 44% of parents would elave a child under 11 alone with a dog.

* Over half of children questioned thought a growling dog is actually smiling.

* One fifth of parents have seen their child sit or lie on a dog. 18% of children pull a dogs tail, and 14 % shout or hit a dog.

* 46% of new parents found it challenging to cope with their dog and a new baby.

* Over 52% of parents said they would like to see more guidance from health professionals on how to introduce their new arrival to their current dog.

So you see why I say Tara, that your idea of ripping the dog apart will do nothing to save the next child - it's guidance and education that is needed.
I'm not sure what we can do as I said that dog I spoke about hadn't a bad bone in his body he didn't even kill deliberately it was a game gone wrong. I've had biters myself and kids we were vigilant and kept them apart of supervised. I've never allowed a child to walk any of ours even the most gentle, never left them alone. Having said that after she lost her mum Grace couldn't sleep without Betty in her bed but a chihuahua can't do as much harm as many. It's really hard one mups educate is all we can do I guess.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-01-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not sure what we can do as I said that dog I spoke about hadn't a bad bone in his body he didn't even kill deliberately it was a game gone wrong. I've had biters myself and kids we were vigilant and kept them apart of supervised. I've never allowed a child to walk any of ours even the most gentle, never left them alone. Having said that after she lost her mum Grace couldn't sleep without Betty in her bed but a chihuahua can't do as much harm as many. It's really hard one mups educate is all we can do I guess.

Yes - education. I think too many people have dogs who do not really understand their needs, and can't be bothered to work with them to build a good relationship and understand each other.

Maybe a basic puppy training course with a qualified trainer would be a good place to start, instead of just acquiring one, and expect it to know what to do in every situation life throws at it!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes - education. I think too many people have dogs who do not really understand their needs, and can't be bothered to work with them to build a good relationship and understand each other.

Maybe a basic puppy training course with a qualified trainer would be a good place to start, instead of just acquiring one, and expect it to know what to do in every situation life throws at it!
I do agree but how could we make that happen ? I doubt anyone knows how many dogs are bred a year or by who so it would be impossible to insist.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-01-2017, 03:30 PM

Oh don't start me off on another one Julie!
Just been reading about the huge amount of 'Puppy Smuggling' that goes on from Ireland alone.
Apparently they have estimated that between 30,000 - 40,000 puppies are shipped each year from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland to be sold on. It is a profitable and lucrative route.
People can see they are sick puppies often, but will not walk away.
Every puppy sold pays for the next puppy's journey . . .

And this is without all the ones brought in from abroad in the car boot.
Some were found recently in a sealed cardboard box, almost dead. The senders were willing to risk suffocating the puppies to get them through customs.

One of the big finds last summer was a job lot of 20 puppies, different breeds and some crossbreeds sitting in sawdust in a car boot. They had made the ferry journey undetected but were rumbled at Cairnryan Port on Scotlands west coast - the British gateway for Irish imports.
Most of these puppes had false paperwork and even more shocking, the poor little mites were only 4 weeks old!

People think they are doing these poor souls a good turn, but cannot see they are funding more and more doomed for the same fete.

Then peopel buy these unfortunate creatures, often do not give them any training whatsoever, and scratch their heads in disbelief when one day they have a confused, unhealthy and unhappy dog.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 03:44 PM

Hi

Two kids, two dogs, never a problem, never left alone together.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top