Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 04:24 PM

Re: Babies and Dogs

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh don't start me off on another one Julie!
Just been reading about the huge amount of 'Puppy Smuggling' that goes on from Ireland alone.
Apparently they have estimated that between 30,000 - 40,000 puppies are shipped each year from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland to be sold on. It is a profitable and lucrative route.
People can see they are sick puppies often, but will not walk away.
Every puppy sold pays for the next puppy's journey . . .

And this is without all the ones brought in from abroad in the car boot.
Some were found recently in a sealed cardboard box, almost dead. The senders were willing to risk suffocating the puppies to get them through customs.

One of the big finds last summer was a job lot of 20 puppies, different breeds and some crossbreeds sitting in sawdust in a car boot. They had made the ferry journey undetected but were rumbled at Cairnryan Port on Scotlands west coast - the British gateway for Irish imports.
Most of these puppes had false paperwork and even more shocking, the poor little mites were only 4 weeks old!

People think they are doing these poor souls a good turn, but cannot see they are funding more and more doomed for the same fete.

Then peopel buy these unfortunate creatures, often do not give them any training whatsoever, and scratch their heads in disbelief when one day they have a confused, unhealthy and unhappy dog.
And that's before we start counting back yard breeders, puppy farms etc. I can't see how we can possibly insist all owners do anything at all with the numbers coming in and being bred here. And it's quantity not quality being bred too.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Personally I would prefer to have a dog than a child.
Me too, mate.
You can get into far too much trouble chopping up kids for crab-pot bait.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 05:26 PM

Hi

We had two dogs, a Golden and a Flatcoat Retriever, one after the other.

The kids got on very well with them, loved throwing things for them as toddlers and the dogs playing fetch.

Both kids hated veg, and would slip them to the dogs, which the dogs loved.

All in all, great fun.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 06:17 PM

Most if not all dog attacks on children are human error.

Yet the dog pays with its life and the humans who made the error can go out and repeat the mistake again and again.

I would be more than happy to have an ownership test and a licence that meant something and wasnt just a hidden tax. Here in NL we still pay dog tax.

I would love to see anyone who breeds dog subject to a licence and a papertrail to show exactly where the dogs went and how many were bred.

I am also shocked by some of the stupid thoughtless dangerous and potentially fatal dog/child videos there are on youtube and FB and if possible I do leave negative comments but most of the time people dont want to hear it.

Then of course there are the knee jerk jockeys who just scream kill it kill it which solves nothing given as said most of the problem is human error.

Sadly stupidity and greed are not against the law and until we cure ourselves of stupid greedy people we wont cure the dog problem either
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 06:59 PM

Dogs and babies just do not go together.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Most if not all dog attacks on children are human error.

Yet the dog pays with its life and the humans who made the error can go out and repeat the mistake again and again.

I would be more than happy to have an ownership test and a licence that meant something and wasnt just a hidden tax. Here in NL we still pay dog tax.

I would love to see anyone who breeds dog subject to a licence and a papertrail to show exactly where the dogs went and how many were bred.

I am also shocked by some of the stupid thoughtless dangerous and potentially fatal dog/child videos there are on youtube and FB and if possible I do leave negative comments but most of the time people dont want to hear it.

Then of course there are the knee jerk jockeys who just scream kill it kill it which solves nothing given as said most of the problem is human error.

Sadly stupidity and greed are not against the law and until we cure ourselves of stupid greedy people we wont cure the dog problem either
Of course a dog must be put down if it has bitten a human, it is dangerous.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Of course a dog must be put down if it has bitten a human, it is dangerous.
Not always, if you poke a pencil in a dogs ear it'll bite, that dog is not vicious it's in pain. Blimey poke a pencil in my ear I'd bite too.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not always, if you poke a pencil in a dogs ear it'll bite, that dog is not vicious it's in pain. Blimey poke a pencil in my ear I'd bite too.
Obviously if the human has provoked the attack hen that is a different matter. But even so, if they have bitten once they are liable to do it again to an innocent person next time. Humans must always come first well before other species of animals.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 04:44 PM

Particularly human children -
who seem to be the most frequent victims of dog attacks (provoked or otherwise).
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 05:07 PM

I agree the safety of children must come first.

However, owners must ultimately be held responsible for the dog's behaviour. Proper training of the dog and monitoring of a child's behaviour towards the dog is essential.
As, has been said it's unfair to allow a child to hurt a dog.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top