Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 03:48 PM

COVID-19: Appointments and Contracts - Strictly for Chums

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-establishment

As Kate Bingham, Chair of the Vaccine Taskforce, was appointed in May and reports directly to Boris Johnson, came under sustained scrutiny over the £670,000 budget she had allocated for public relations consultants, attention switched from her suitability for the role to her connections to the Conservative government.

Managing partner of a private equity firm, SV Health Investors, involved for 30 years in pharmaceutical investment, Bingham is also married to a Tory MP, Jesse Norman, who was at Eton at the same time as Boris Johnson, and she went to private school with Rachel Johnson, the prime minister’s sister.

Bingham’s appointment shares similarities with that of Dido Harding, to head the (privately run) NHS Test and Trace operation in May. She was made Chair of NHS Improvement in 2017 after an open recruitment process. Married to the Tory MP John Penrose, she was given a peerage in 2014 by David Cameron, a friend, and sits in the House of Lords as a Conservative.

A racehorse owner and keen rider, Harding was in 2004 appointed as a member of the Jockey Club, which gave the local Newmarket MP and current health secretary, Matt Hancock, another horseracing enthusiast, honorary membership of its prestigious rooms, shortly after he was first elected, in 2010.
The racing and Tory connections extend to Randox Laboratories, the Northern Irish healthcare company that was given a £133m contract in May by Hancock’s department to produce testing kits, recently extended by six months for a further £347m. Owen Paterson, Conservative MP for North Shropshire since 1997, is paid £8,333 per month for 16 hours work as a consultant for Randox. The company is the official healthcare partner of the Jockey Club, and has sponsored the Grand National since 2016.
There's lots more in the article, including the "Cummings Connections" .....
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 04:23 PM

Re: COVID-19: Appointments and Contracts - Strictly for Chums

Originally Posted by Omah ->
There's lots more in the article, including the "Cummings Connections" .....
* Yawn *

Pro-EU pro-remain publication publishes anti-government opinions shocker!

It wouldn't be a reaction purely because decision day for deal or no-deal Brexit is drawing ever nearer, perchance?
Or perhaps to distract from news that Boris is insisting that the stance on Brexit remains unchanged?

Such constant blatant muck-raking attempts are beyond ridiculous.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 04:33 PM

As far as I am concerned and my lady too, we are more than happy all the 'chums' will get the vaccine before we do; that way we can see if there are any nasties waiting in the wings that have not shown up in the trials.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
As far as I am concerned and my lady too, we are more than happy all the 'chums' will get the vaccine before we do; that way we can see if there are any nasties waiting in the wings that have not shown up in the trials.
Wise and prudent LongDriver, we are of the same opinion.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
The article is not about who gets the vaccine - it's about who's getting the billions of pounds that BJ's governments is splashing out on "healthcare" - it's not just coincidence that many, if not most, of the recipients are "well-connected" and have ongoing "relationships" .....
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The article is not about who gets the vaccine - it's about who's getting the billions of pounds that BJ's governments is splashing out on "healthcare" - it's not just coincidence that many, if not most, of the recipients are "well-connected" and have ongoing "relationships" .....
You - as so often seems evident - miss the point completely.

People do not care.

Perhaps because it has always been the way & we know that we personally never ever see the profits.
Somebody will always make money.
It is never us.
We hope to benefit in other ways, as in knowing how progress on the vaccine will lead to the possibility of us being able to receive it and so hopefully give us a health benefit.

Now just imagine I won billions on the lottery.
Would you grumble because I made certain that first my own family and then friends benefitted most from my good fortune?
Or would you decline to sell either me or my second cousin twice removed that car/house/tv or whatever on principle, which means only that somebody else gets my business?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
You - as so often seems evident - miss the point completely.

People do not care.

Perhaps because it has always been the way & we know that we personally never ever see the profits.
Somebody will always make money.
It is never us.
We hope to benefit in other ways, as in knowing how progress on the vaccine will lead to the possibility of us being able to receive it and so hopefully give us a health benefit.

Now just imagine I won billions on the lottery.
Would you grumble because I made certain that first my own family and then friends benefitted most from my good fortune?
Or would you decline to sell either me or my second cousin twice removed that car/house/tv or whatever on principle, which means only that somebody else gets my business?
^^^^^

Wot you sed. Really.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-11-2020, 02:45 AM

George Pascoe-Watson among lobbyists given secret access to Covid meetings

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54953801

According to the Sunday Times newspaper, the chairman of lobbying firm Portland Communications, George Pascoe-Watson, was hired to work on NHS Test and Trace in April. The DHSC confirmed it had hired Mr Pascoe-Watson for six months as an adviser.

The Sunday Times claimed that Mr Pascoe-Watson took part in meetings with Health Secretary Matt Hancock and Test and Trace chief Dido Harding over how to communicate policies to the public.

It alleged that after Mr Pascoe-Watson - who represents pharmaceutical companies, weapons manufacturers and banks - left the post on 7 October, he passed information onto paying clients ahead of the second national lockdown announcement at the end of October.

A spokesman for the DHSC* said:
"As part of an unprecedented response to this global pandemic we rightly have drawn on the expertise of a number of private sector partners who provided advice and expertise to assist in the government's vital work. This included helping establish the largest diagnostic network in British history and a test and trace system used by tens of millions of people. As a result of public and private sector organisations working together at pace, we were able to strengthen our response to the pandemic so we are better prepared for the challenges of the coming months."
* He would say that, wouldn't he .....

Labour's deputy leader, Angela Rayner, wrote to Cabinet Secretary Simon Case, demanding an urgent inquiry into "how lobbyists and their clients benefited from this vital information before the public knew".

Ms Rayner added it was "deeply insulting" to the British public and called for the Cabinet Office to "shine a light on this situation in order to maintain public trust" over the hiring of government advisers.

The SNP joined the call for an inquiry, accusing the government of "rampant cronyism".

The party's deputy leader in Westminster, Kirsten Oswald, said: "There must be a public inquiry into the scandalous way that public money, jobs and privileged access have been handed out by the Tory government during this crisis." *
Indeed there must ..... billions of pounds of borrowed money have gone astray .....
Zaphod
Lincs UK

16-11-2020, 10:04 AM

Back in the real world and testing is heading towards 400,000 per day reported upon.

Even better, two new magalabs willdouble testing capacity and will open early 2021!

Maybe some people think that things like this just happen; that it takes no planning & organisation - or money to do that.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-he...-idUKKBN27W005
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Back in the real world and testing is heading towards 400,000 per day reported upon.

Even better, two new magalabs willdouble testing capacity and will open early 2021!

Maybe some people think that things like this just happen; that it takes no planning & organisation - or money to do that.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-he...-idUKKBN27W005

Business doesn't prosper with over regulation, red tape and high taxes. People at the top also remember the winter of discontent and the brain drain in the 70's - the last thing business needs is more of the same.

The left never have and never will understand how the world works...... business pays for everything.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top