Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 05:19 PM

Re: Taking the Hit.

Didn't the exchange rate and pound going down start in 2008 ? All Brexit vote did was slow it's downward roll.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by gascony ->
Meg: I think we have to ask ourselves why someone who says they are from Gascony (and failed to fill in their profile so may not even be over 50 and eligible to post at all) would be concerned with no deal exit which will “will cause bumps on the road”
Have you asked me? That'd be more simple and less offensive. I worked in England for over 30 years - paying lots of tax (happily, its how a country needs to work) and drawing very, very little by way of demands on the state. Be assured I'm over 50. I now live in France but still have assets in the UK. I still have friends and family in the UK. I still mostly like the UK and wish it well. Is that enough reason to care about the well being & success of the UK and its people?
Meg: These people would be better employed lobbying their own Parliaments to give us a fair deal…
Thanks for the "these people" comment. Who else is included in the 'these people' group that you are imagining? Johnny foreigners no doubt. If so that does not include me. Even as a tax paying immigrant I have no voting rights here in France. I'd need citizenship for that. I could lobby 'my parliament' in Westminster but (a) they already have a fair deal in front of them and (b) they are definitely not inclined to listen to people who have left the UK for the EU.
PS seeing as you are so interested and seem to care, you wouldn't mind bringing forward your belt tightening? I'm a quite a bit out of pocket from the exchange rate collapse brought on by the Brexit vote, and that is most likely to get worse soon. So if you could tighten your belt and sent me a few thousand that would be fair.
I see you expect good manners when you are the target of a comment
Perhaps an apology to Meg would have been your best option, if you don't like people saying things that offend you.
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

25-08-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I see you expect good manners when you are the target of a comment
Perhaps an apology to Meg would have been your best option, if you don't like people saying things that offend you.
I'm not bothered by the offensive tone. I took no offense. I simply pointed out that the accusation and the use of the term "these people" is quite offensive. So thanks for your concern but please do not worry about me.
Actually, the post that triggered this was also quite offensive. Just presented as "it'll be fine, I can tighten my belt" casual comment. So I'm not sure what I am meant to apologise for (confused face - aren't these smilies truly dreadful?). Perhaps you can explain your smilie 'angry red face'. Is it anything to do with gammon?
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

25-08-2019, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Didn't the exchange rate and pound going down start in 2008 ? All Brexit vote did was slow it's downward roll.
Don't ask inane questions. Simply look up the exchange rate on the internet and look for a 20 year history of the exchange rate. Then post back and say "sorry, the Brexit vote did hammer the value of the pound by 25%". I await with anticipation.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 05:43 PM

I'm not bothered by the offensive tone. I took no offense. I simply pointed out that the accusation and the use of the term "these people" is quite offensive. So thanks for your concern but please do not worry about me.
Actually, the post that triggered this was also quite offensive. Just presented as "it'll be fine, I can tighten my belt" casual comment. So I'm not sure what I am meant to apologise for (confused face - aren't these smilies truly dreadful?). Perhaps you can explain your smilie 'angry red face'. Is it anything to do with gammon?
On my many visits to France, I have always found the people to be pleasant and friendly. How sad that people from Britain, who have gone to live there, have left their manners in the country they moved from.
As I said earlier, the decision to leave was made by a democratic vote, so why should we be concerned for the people who chose to leave Britain and live in the EU? It was your choice to go!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 06:07 PM

Meg: I think we have to ask ourselves why someone who says they are from Gascony (and failed to fill in their profile so may not even be over 50 and eligible to post at all) would be concerned with no deal exit which will “will cause bumps on the road”
Have you asked me?
If it was asked when you joined this forum and it was divulged to other members, it would have been a breach of the Data Protection Act 2018 (the UK implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation of the EU). In your profile you ad those data you want everybody to know. Joinng this forum you enter information that is covered by the DPA.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 06:25 PM

Don't ask inane questions. Simply look up the exchange rate on the internet and look for a 20 year history of the exchange rate. Then post back and say "sorry, the Brexit vote did hammer the value of the pound by 25%". I await with anticipation.

The pound has been lowered anyway because it was way too high in the first place.

You cant do that with your dreadful euro ... :all you can do is "add austerity".

The pound is falling also because the markets know we are leaving.. it will bounce back soon enough it always does.

Besides in the last 3 years we have had the largest foreign investment in the world (except china) and the lowest unemployment in the EU.

You can't claim those statistics in the awful 27.

Dam shame eh
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 06:53 PM

Hey - attack the post - not the poster!

" I await with anticipation" for your apology to Julie who, for your information, is neither inane or ill mannered. She asked a perfectly polite question which deserves a perfectly polite reply!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Based on this picture (exchange rate us$/£) you seem to be right.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	pound-dollar-exchange-rate-historical-chart-2019-08-25-macrotrends.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	10560  
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The pound has been lowered anyway because it was way too high in the first place.

You cant do that with your dreadful euro ... :all you can do is "add austerity".

The pound is falling also because the markets know we are leaving.. it will bounce back soon enough it always does.

Besides in the last 3 years we have had the largest foreign investment in the world (except china) and the lowest unemployment in the EU.

You can't claim those statistics in the awful 27.

Dam shame eh
If the markets thought the UK leaving the EU was a good thing they would be betting on the pound not against it.

The fact is the pound has been falling and is likely to fall further on news of a no deal Brexit. Whether it rebounds would seem to be unlikely in a no deal scenario and whether it will recover over time is going to be dependant on a number of factors not least How quickly the UK can replace its lost trade agreements and forge others and how well UK and UK domiciled companies adapt to trading with the EU on WTO rules

I would love to see those who short the pound lose their shirts but I doubt it will happen

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top