Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 07:42 PM

Beware of DIY teeth whitening

If anyone has ever thought about teeth whitening, be careful.

I have just read that Trading Standards and the Border Force have confiscated 15,000 illegal kits destined for DIY teeth whitening.

They are finding that there are dangerously high levels of hydrogen peroxide in these kits which are being sold online.

Some imported kits seized by officials contained 33% peroxide but the legal limit is 6%.

DIY kits are legal, but anyone offering whitening services has to be supervised by a dentist, though hygienists can carry them out.

I have never used teeth whitening, but this would put me off now anyway.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 07:46 PM

Re: Beware of DIY teeth whitening

Remember Pearl Drops you used to be able to buy, I wonder if they are still available?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 08:32 PM

Yes, it's well known it's bad for the gums if not properly applied.

If folk want it done, I personally would think them daft if they didn't go to the experts. Way to risky to do yourself.

Nowt like yellowing aged teeth showing tea/coffee/smoking/ravages of time stains anyway
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 08:55 PM

I had a friend who cleaned her teeth with Vim, they all went black!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Remember Pearl Drops you used to be able to buy, I wonder if they are still available?
I remember Pearl Drops. I tend to use sandpaper and white gloss paint now. Just caused a pile up outside my house.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I had a friend who cleaned her teeth with Vim, they all went black!
OMG!!!!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 09:00 PM

You can now buy Charcoal Teeth Whitening Powder!!

Charcoal is very black and your teeth and mouth will be black before you rinse it of, not to mention the black sink which will need cleaning each time you use it
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2017, 10:52 PM

Pearl Drops is still available - slightly more abrasive than the standard stuff so use wisely. Same with Eucryl smoker's toothpaste - effective for non-smokers too.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 01:01 AM

IMO whitening is not good for your teeth whether it's DIY or from the dentist. I had some from the dentist a few years ago because I said a white filling he did looked a bit yellow. It makes the teeth look lovely and white but also made the enamel look more fragile or translucent in places and I thought a little sensitive. I didn't bother after 2 or 3 times because you have to stop drinking coffee and red wine and seemed like too much hard work when my teeth were white enough to start. I just had the filling replaced instead. I have never heard of it causing gum recession but it would not surprise me if it had additional adverse effects. At one point all dental surgeries were selling this, I'm sure it's a big earner because people have to keep going back. But over the counter kits are totally irresponsible.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
How often do you have to renew it.

I understood once you start it doesn't last all that long.
Is that so?
It lasts a few weeks in my experience but you're better off just getting a posh electric sonic toothbrush or going to the hygienist. Most people don't need it and it's totally oversold and over-hyped.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top