Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 11:55 AM

Nomadlands

Its not often I look forward to seeing a movie reach our screens from over the Ocean, but I am so looking forward to watching Nomadlands on the 30th April.

It has Frances McDormand (from Billboards in Missouri) starring as a 60+ widow, selling up everything to buy a van so she can go travelling in the desert in the American West. She meets up with other nomads - who are actual real life people living this way - and they feature in the movie. Frances actually did live in a van for several months to get into the feel of it, as opposed to simply showing up for the script reading.

I do like her as an actress, so I'm looking forward to this one. Travelling in a van is also something I would love to do....it would be worth enduring driving lessons for, haha!
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 12:42 PM

Re: Nomadlands

What station and what time please
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by noolsg ->
What station and what time please
Its not being shown in the UK until 30th April, but I daresay it will be on Netflix or some such. When I find out, I will update you. Meanwhile, here is some more about it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9770150/
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 10:51 AM

I'd be interested in watching it if only to see if the name 'Trailer Trash' actually warrants the derogatory designation.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Its not often I look forward to seeing a movie reach our screens from over the Ocean, but I am so looking forward to watching Nomadlands on the 30th April.

It has Frances McDormand (from Billboards in Missouri) starring as a 60+ widow, selling up everything to buy a van so she can go travelling in the desert in the American West. She meets up with other nomads - who are actual real life people living this way - and they feature in the movie. Frances actually did live in a van for several months to get into the feel of it, as opposed to simply showing up for the script reading.

I do like her as an actress, so I'm looking forward to this one. Travelling in a van is also something I would love to do....it would be worth enduring driving lessons for, haha!
It's just won two Oscars. One for Frances McDormand, and one for Chloe Zhao the director. The first ever Asian woman to win an Oscar.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

26-04-2021, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's just won two Oscars. One for Frances McDormand, and one for Chloe Zhao the director. The first ever Asian woman to win an Oscar.
I know! I saw that this morning in the news. Its going to be a good'un!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 03:48 PM

Too many preachy, gloomy films around. I want escapism, entertainment and excitement. Bloke in a rock band going deaf? I couldn't care less. Woman lives in a van who tours America meeting like-minded people? Nope, don't care about that either. Portrayal of an old man with dementia? Yep, I don't care. It's been a crap 18 months of Lockdown for me and I don't fancy watching depressing films to pass the time.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

26-04-2021, 04:03 PM

But don't you think this movie sounds like a bit of escapism, Tachyon? It doesn't sound depressing to me....I think its more of adventure-ism! But I agree its been a terrible year, and I hope you find something exciting to watch that is more to your taste.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Too many preachy, gloomy films around. I want escapism, entertainment and excitement. Bloke in a rock band going deaf? I couldn't care less. Woman lives in a van who tours America meeting like-minded people? Nope, don't care about that either. Portrayal of an old man with dementia? Yep, I don't care. It's been a crap 18 months of Lockdown for me and I don't fancy watching depressing films to pass the time.
If you get the chance, watch Soul, a cartoon in the same vein as Inside Out - very uplifting it is. The main character (voiced by Jamie Foxx) is a music teacher and would-be jazz pianist, and just on the verge of him hitting the big time, gets killed and transported to heaven. The film deals with the attempts he makes to get back to Earth.

Here's a taster...

Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 09:22 AM

I really enjoyed Soul. Whimsical, funny, great music, clever plot, fantastic to look at and a feelgood ending. Recent movies seem to randomly miss out on two or three of those characteristics!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top