Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 10:23 AM

Google Says "We've updated your voice and audio setting"

Google is sending a complicated privacy email to everyone — here’s what it means

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/5/21...wers-assistant

Google is returning to having humans analyze and rate anonymized audio snippets from its users. However, it’s also taken the major step of automatically opting every single user out of the setting that allows Google to store their audio. That’s why you might be getting an email today: Google would like you to opt back in to the program, and it’s trying to provide clearer information detailing what it’s all about.

Those are very big moves that affect a huge number of people — though Google says the precise number of users getting the email is confidential. It should land in the inbox of anybody who has interacted with a product that uses Google’s voice AI, including apps like Google Maps and services like Google Assistant.
Although I rarely use voice AI, I thought I'd check my Google Activity - it's a good job that I did because, at some time in the past, Google has changed my activity retention settings (which I though were OFF) and I found a long history of movements, searches, visits, etc (which I deleted) .....

I will schedule a regular activity check from now on .....
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 11:35 AM

Re: Google Says "We've updated your voice and audio setting"

Same with my bank and I like the idea of, “ my voice is my password”.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Same with my bank and I like the idea of, “ my voice is my password”.

But what if you've got a cold or sore throat which alters voice for a few days? Does that mean you couldn't get in your account?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 01:09 PM

Yes, I've had that message.

I wasn't sure even if it was some sort of scam, but even if not, I don't use any sort of voice recognition with anyone. Consequently, I just deleted it.

I'm not sure now whether I should check up on my settings, or even how to go about doing that. If they've turned it off, though, perhaps I should just not bother doing anything.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I've had that message.

I wasn't sure even if it was some sort of scam, but even if not, I don't use any sort of voice recognition with anyone. Consequently, I just deleted it.

I'm not sure now whether I should check up on my settings, or even how to go about doing that. If they've turned it off, though, perhaps I should just not bother doing anything.
If you want to check, start here:

https://safety.google/privacy/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 01:42 PM

Hilarious how certain sites bang on about how they value our privacy, only to invade it at every opportunity. I already have black tape over the webcam.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
If you want to check, start here:

https://safety.google/privacy/
Thanks. I had a look and left everything as is, except I turned off ad. personalisation!

I don't look at ads. anyway.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
But what if you've got a cold or sore throat which alters voice for a few days? Does that mean you couldn't get in your account?
This was done when I had a live chat with a staff member about money that was taken out of one of my accounts with out my permission. (I got it back). I don’t do much online banking and my bank is only a short bike ride from where I live. I only use PayPal when I buy online. If they don’t let me pay by PayPal, I go and find someone that does. Also I only have a small amount in the PayPal account.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top