Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 05:16 PM

Re: Er indoors.

Well all the men I know who use such terms for their dearly beloved mean it in an affectionate way, it is never intended to belittle their wife/partner.
Some of the terms some women use for their husbands/partners are not so endearing either and some of them I know mean it, one particular woman refers to her husband as “The Dog” it took me a while to cop on to who she was on about at first but I found out the hard way, she mentioned she was going off on a holiday to Greece one year with the dog and I like an idiot asked her wouldn’t she have problems getting the dog into the country, quarantine and all that sort of thing, she laughed loudly saying the dog would have no problems, he was born there, everyone in the know had a good laugh. I never got to know the fellas real name she never mentioned it, he never comes into the pub, she practically lives there and she knows how to lower a few herself.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 05:19 PM

YUK ! Awful woman ....
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 05:24 PM

A long time ago an old university friend came to visit us, he referred to his wife as `the little lady`. Me and Jen swapped glances thinking this marriage will not last-it didn`t
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
A long time ago an old university friend came to visit us, he referred to his wife as `the little lady`. Me and Jen swapped glances thinking this marriage will not last-it didn`t
Not so bad though at least 'lady' was in there ........
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 10:22 PM

Only ever heard a man use this expression in a jovial way.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 10:49 PM

Ball and Chain,
Trouble and Strife,
The Rib,
Pet,
Better half,
Oi!
Darling,
Chick,
Huh,
Eh,

Who says us chaps have a limited vocabulary.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 03:55 AM

Well, I hate any "nicknames" for a spouse, be it married or otherwise, as I honestly think it's disrespectful.

Someone once called me his "other half" and I said I wasn't the other half of anyone, as I was my own whole person. I'm not half a person. Never have been, and never will be.

It's almost as if these men consider the lady in his life to be insignificant, less intelligent or less important and have little value. I honestly didn't think cavemen still existed!

I don't think women have the same equivalent to call the man in her life? We don't call him the little man as an ineffectual being because that may cause him to feel insignificant e.g. "Hi girls, this is the little man in my life."

That would make him feel of low value, as it would a woman. However, saying "this is my man" or "this is my lady" would have a totally different aspect and would be more respectful and proud of their partner, but to use the word "little" is disrespectful.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Well Mollie, I'm very happy with the term "Other half", because by definition, halves are equal while individual items can be widely different. I'm glad to be one half of a partnership, though I usually refer to my wife as 'The boss'

My favourite term of endearment is "She who must be obeyed (SWMBO)", much used by Rumpole of the Bailey.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-10-2014, 09:40 AM

Yes 'me other half or better half' is nice .........
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 09:45 AM

We are each others other half, that doesn't mean are no one in our own right but we call each other the other half affectionately. I think it can only be disrespectful if you don't mean it as a caress.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top