Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 04:42 PM

Re: One foot in the grave!

I think the OP is a very interesting and valid one, nothing to do with doom and gloom and a question which most of us who are in the final third of our life will ask whether we admit it or not.
The OP posed the question with good humour and a joke but with the serious issue of how people feel about the way our days will end and the hope that it is without suffering.
I don't think there is a person alive who doesn't hope that their demise will come about without suffering and as Carol said the loss of dignity and not being cared for well. That is something which I do admit that I fear as much as any pain and suffering. What we have seen going on in care homes around the country doesn't fill you with confidence.
One in three of us will develop dementia which usually means a need for round the clock care when it's in it's later stages.
The most common causes of death are stroke, heart disease and cancer. We can only hope that our passing will not be a long drawn out affair with a lot of dependency and the need for medical intervention.

Passing quietly in our sleep is the ideal way. It's true that pain relief is good now with modern medicine and particularly in hospices where they have pain control down to a fine art so that those who are dying can actually enjoy their last days. Sometimes the worse bit is when a disease is being treated prior to the approach of the end. Chemotherapy for example can be hard to cope with for many.

I think that talking about our passing and not brushing it under the carpet is good. After all a death is as normal as a birth and we all discuss a new family member's arrival so why not the departure. If it was more normal to discuss it, it may be less of a taboo subject, also people's wishes are more likely to be carried out and they are more likely to organise their legal matters and make a will etc. You often hear people say, I never knew my father /mother wanted such and such to happen but it can be because the father or mother felt they couldn't talk about their passing for fear of upsetting their family.

As for Christmas Jem we haven't had halloween yet, you're wishing your life away.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 07:35 PM

I don't think you are wrong in discussing a death. Its better that those that might be left behind know at least some of what you require in you death. Mines be written out for years. They better do what I have asked or I will come back and haunt them
I don't bother about a Will I have nowt to leave. Not insured and put my coffin money in a bank account. As you say its how you go as well as when you go. I don't have money to go to Switzerland if I am ailing, but Tescos
does have bottles of gin or vodka. Cheaper than the journey to Switzerland.
Otherwise I live to the full life I have been given. Trendy Wendy to the end.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 10:17 PM

It's the decision of being buried or cremated.......I don't fancy either
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 10:20 PM

You won't know anything about it Gabi when you're brown bread.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
It's the decision of being buried or cremated.......I don't fancy either:lol:

I know what you mean Gabi, I was asked that when I did my will and I don't fancy either - either! Gives me the willies thinking about it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 10:29 PM

I used to want to be buried, but, then when I left my sister's funeral and thought of her in her willow coffin I couldn't bear it! I think I want to cause the least amount of fuss and take up the least amount of space possible. That is if my body's no good to the scientists!
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

26-10-2014, 01:22 PM

I want the disposal of my corpse to be as cheap and as fuss free as possible, I have no wish to be buried.

My husband would like his corpse to be cut up by medical students, which is a brilliant idea, which means there would be no funeral of any sort. I dislike funerals and don't attend them nowadays.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 01:30 PM

You should look into donating your body to medical research.
I know someone who did that - there was no memorial service - nothing!
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

26-10-2014, 01:33 PM

Yeh I should get around to it.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Burial or cremation....hmmm...I don't fancy them either.
The proper way to go for me would be blown into a billion bits so nobody will find any leftovers. Saves a lot of money and mucking around.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top