Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 03:47 PM

If there was no more electricity.

Suppose, just suppose If by some freak of nature everything electrical stopped working all over the World never to work again, electricity ceases to be full stop and gas and oil are all used up, could you cope with a future without it?
Well for starters I have an old wind up gramophone with a box of needles and a stack of 78’s to take care of the entertainment, a crate of 12” candles to have light, an open fireplace for cooking and heat, a cut throat razor to keep meself shaved, dozens of hand tools, two reliable wind up clocks, sharp shears and a push lawnmower to keep the wife busy.

Have you any old stuff you could bring back into service?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 03:57 PM

Re: If there was no more electricity.

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Suppose, just suppose If by some freak of nature everything electrical stopped working all over the World never to work again, electricity ceases to be full stop and gas and oil are all used up, could you cope with a future without it?
Well for starters I have an old wind up gramophone with a box of needles and a stack of 78’s to take care of the entertainment, a crate of 12” candles to have light, an open fireplace for cooking and heat, a cut throat razor to keep meself shaved, dozens of hand tools, two reliable wind up clocks, sharp shears and a push lawnmower to keep the wife busy.

Have you any old stuff you could bring back into service?
You'll be fine then Jem.........until you starve to death.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 04:08 PM

I think I would start looking for a cave at Wookey Hole to dwell in, at least it would have running water.

I have a (modern) wind-up torch and I could always gather some sticks and try out my old Girl Guides skills
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 04:12 PM

I wish I'd kept me 78s and me Grannys wind up - suffering sockatash !
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 04:12 PM

Well - I have some candles....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Never thought of that bit Alan.
Still they managed to do alright back in the days before electricity, gas and oil.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 04:35 PM

I've read enough post apocalyptic fiction to know the basics and if I survived the initial panic - there will always be one then I think we could providing we could find somewhere with a wood burner and water near by.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 04:55 PM

True Jem but I would guess that those skills are forgotten by most of us. I know how to grow food but how to preserve it without a freezer .........um !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 05:02 PM

I do a lot of dried foods, meats like liver and chicken and beef, veggies like carrots and parsnips and fruits like apples and bananas. I can also remember my Nan did a lot of salting when I was I a child quite easy to do too runner beans and cabbage and brussel sprouts. Then pickling and jams aren't too difficult either.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 05:05 PM

There would be a run on libraries and book stores for 'How To' books as there would be no more Google

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top