Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 05:28 PM

Re: If there was no more electricity.

Horrible feeling the books would be seen as fuel for many people by the time they realised what they were burning it could be too late.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 06:35 PM

I think I'd manage quite well, actually. I've wood burning stoves in every room. The one in in the kitchen has an oven and space for several saucepans on top. I already use it each winter instead of my gas cooker. I have a well so no problem about water and a large garden where I grow my own veggies. I've enough space to keep chickens and rabbits, a pig maybe and I think to keep me supplied with milk and cheese I'd have a couple of goats. My biggest problem would be the candles as I've no idea how to make them .... must do an online search before the electricity goes off!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 08:53 PM

There's always steam power! I'll be happy!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 09:07 PM

A steam powered computer..........interesting!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
A steam powered computer..........interesting!
Might even be quicker than some we have these days
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 09:17 PM

The world would quickly grind to a halt and chaos would ensue, communication black out, not even street lighting, looting and break down of law and order, hospitals unable to cope with only back up generators. Emergency services unable to cope, everyone for themselves .........I think we are too far down the road to survive.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
There's always steam power! I'll be happy!
Yes Twiz, eventually when all the panic dies down all the factories would have to go back to steam power (but then you always had plenty of that) and all the technically minded would have to start learning about pressure, emissions and levelling off the steam, they would be in great demand to maintain the machines. The coal miners would all be back working overtime and the spinoffs would see small towns and villages thriving again, little shops would spring up all over the place, people would have to go back to the places where the resources are and trains and ships would once more rule in the transport sector, little out of the way train stations opening up again or having to be rebuilt. The friendly old branch bank manager would be back on the scene, out would come the trusty old ledgers with the bank clerks jotting down every penny by hand, everyone would have some kind of a meaningful job to do and not as boring as some of the minimum wage dead end jobs 22 percent of the workforce have today, that’s not so bad is it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Suppose, just suppose If by some freak of nature everything electrical stopped working all over the World never to work again, electricity ceases to be full stop and gas and oil are all used up, could you cope with a future without it?
Well for starters I have an old wind up gramophone with a box of needles and a stack of 78’s to take care of the entertainment, a crate of 12” candles to have light, an open fireplace for cooking and heat, a cut throat razor to keep meself shaved, dozens of hand tools, two reliable wind up clocks, sharp shears and a push lawnmower to keep the wife busy.

Have you any old stuff you could bring back into service?
I would just wind up er indoors and she will go on and on and on
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I would just wind up er indoors and she will go on and on and on
Good one Bazza, I forgot to say I have one of them too, they never go out of date do they.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 12:06 AM

Right now no electricity sounds appealing as does finding a little unspoilt plot where it is absent.

I have just been going through the South Worcestershire Development plan with growing horror . It consists of imposing 23,000 new houses on the beautiful countryside around here and the term 'green belt' seems to have been totally forgotten.

The beautiful dark skies and odd twinkling lights on the hills are soon to becomed swamped under a sea of lights, a very sad thing to see.

Bring on the darkness, Chloe and I will move to the woods and be ok..

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top