Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 07:10 PM

New build or character

What do you prefer in a house - new build or character? I'm meaning if you had your choice. I'd choose a character home anytime. Particularly Victorian. Although I'm just lucky to have a roof over my head, but if I won the lottery I know what I'd choose
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 07:20 PM

Re: New build or character

I think it depends on your age/fitness - an older house will likely need a deal of maintenance. But lovely if that's not an issue!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 07:22 PM

Character is nice but it`s expensive to maintain and for a single person really not on.

This is why I sold this pile at well,well below the asking price.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-43468706.html
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 07:24 PM

hey ho the link failed.

Was a large place built around 1790
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Character is nice but it`s expensive to maintain and for a single person really not on.

This is why I sold this pile at well,well below the asking price.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-43468706.html
Yes, I meant within reason and if you have plenty of dosh

OG your house looks lovely. I can imagine it would be a big upkeep though. Better to move to something more manageable.

My partner has a house in an idyllic place, with huge amount of ground, but it's getting a bit too much. He'll sell eventually, but won't have as much character.

I've had the new build and to be honest, I wouldn't rush to that again. I'm happy in my wee council flat
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 07:29 PM

We bought a new build 30 years ago, so many teething troubles will not do that again in a hurry!! An older property with character for me, preferably.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 07:34 PM

Even character properties were new builds once upon a time, good job somebody liked them....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

27-10-2014, 07:36 PM

I have a friend in a beautiful new build. Totally upmarket, expensive house in a beautiful estate. We have a mutual friend who has a Victorian villa. The Victorian villa friend tends to say she would like a new build, but my goodness, her villa is out of this world. Original features and grand piano in the lounge. I know what I'd choose!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 07:44 PM

Yes, me too, alice76...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 08:09 PM

My house dates from around 1830-1840. It feels comfortable and secure even in the worst weather. It's walls are sandstone about 30" thick and the roof is Scottish and Welsh slate set on timbers like railway sleepers. The internal doors are original pitch pine 4 panel doors. and some of the original mouldings and cornices remain. True, it does need quite a bit of maintenance, but it's worth it.

On the other hand, the new build houses round here are as sturdy as egg boxes with cheap timber frames. I believe their design life is around 60 years. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top