Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 07:45 PM

Half term blues

Today I went into London to see a friend and visit a gallery. It was pretty crowded because of being Poppy Day (wonderful Scots bagpipe regiment playing in Victoria Station!) but also I had forgotten it was half term.

Two reactions I had which prove to me I have entered Grumpy Old Womandom:

1. Very small children and art galleries don't mix. A grandad found this out to his cost as small boy suddenly paralysed everyone with his howls - he had actually managed to remove part of the wall paneling concealing pipes and electrical wires and part of it had hit him on the head - the noise distracted a little girl in a separate party who then skidded and fell over on the polished floor, narrowly avoiding bringing my friend crashing down on top of her. Now I am all for introducing children to the joys of art, but this was an exhibition you had to pay for and featured disturbing images - certainly nothing a child would understand in any way.

2. I find myself increasingly remembering the signs that used to hang in buses and trains and which were strictly enforced, to the effect that a child paying half price should not occupy a seat while an adult is standing. I was fortunate enough to get a seat on the train back, and I know from personal experience how hard it is to manage with small children on long journeys, but when several kids in one family occupy a seat each and also are small enough for parents' laps. and very elderly people are standing, I think it's a matter of rudeness.

That feels better! Nothing beats a good rant!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 07:50 PM

Re: Half term blues

A child in an art gallery - very foolish ........
The only good thing about half term - the roads are clearer
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 08:13 PM

Rose, I go swimming to a hotel spa suite. It's been busier because of half term and there are kids in the pool screaming their heads off. Even the swimming instructor, with a young boy he was teaching, looked over in disgrace. I don't grudge kids in the pool, but for goodness sake parents, tame them down. What a racket of spoiled kids. In my day it was the local Victorian swimming pool. Now I'm really being grumpy and showing my age .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 08:49 PM

I get reminded by my daughters that those who work often only have the school holidays to visit places. Perhaps these days when both parents work and children are often looked after by others, it effects the authority parents have over their children. Also children may spend less time socializing with adults or visiting public venues so don't know how to behave.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:25 PM

Come to Scotland. The half term hols are over and the kids went back on Monday after two weeks of 'Tattie picking'. I don't know how busy the museums , art galeries etc in Aberdeen were, but the village was very quiet.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:25 PM

What is it with this screaming thing? Half the shows on TV are unwatchable because of screaming audiences. If I take my grandchildren to the playbarn I go with earplugs, because of the screaming children there. Certainly wouldn't take very small people to an art gallery, they'd be bored out of their minds.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:27 PM

We are off to the local museum tomorrow, treat for Grace for being so good this week. Hope we don't upset anyone, although she is and has been for a couple of years house trained and able to look and not touch
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
Today I went into London to see a friend and visit a gallery. It was pretty crowded because of being Poppy Day
Has it moved from November 11th ?

. I find myself increasingly remembering the signs that used to hang in buses and trains and which were strictly enforced, to the effect that a child paying half price should not occupy a seat while an adult is standing. I was fortunate enough to get a seat on the train back, and I know from personal experience how hard it is to manage with small children on long journeys, but when several kids in one family occupy a seat each and also are small enough for parents' laps. and very elderly people are standing, I think it's a matter of rudeness.
The ones that really annoy me are the mums who arrive with buggies the size of a small tank which takes up the whole of the buggy zone - and then take the child out and let it take up another seat!

That feels better! Nothing beats a good rant!

This is very true!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
A child in an art gallery - very foolish ........
The only good thing about half term - the roads are clearer
Probably because they´ve all arrived here Patsy
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Has it moved from November
Today was Royal British Legion's London Poppy Day Appeal. It was very moving seeing and hearing the pipe band, everyone was photographing and clapping and I shed a little tear

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top