Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 11:46 AM

Let the train take the strain

This must be embarrassing! Network Rail sends staff by air because it's cheaper and quicker than by train.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...per-train.html
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 11:52 AM

Re: Let the train take the strain

It was on the Welsh news the other day..
They said that for the price of a train ticket from Cardiff to London you could fly to New York and back 3 times!!!
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 12:12 PM

Daughter went to London Thursday for business ( just for the day ) and I collected her from the station and chatting I asked how much that cost ... Day return to London from warrington was £370 so imagine mum dad and two kids decided to go to the capitol city for the day ... would be over £1000 !!!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Daughter went to London Thursday for business ( just for the day ) and I collected her from the station and chatting I asked how much that cost ... Day return to London from warrington was £370 so imagine mum dad and two kids decided to go to the capitol city for the day ... would be over £1000 !!!
And they could have a week in Spain for that!
All inclusive to boot
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Train fares are outrageous .
There is no question of spontaneity about travel anymore .
You get them a little less ( not much) if you book weeks ahead .
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Train fares are outrageous .
There is no question of spontaneity about travel anymore .
You get them a little less ( not much) if you book weeks ahead .
Not everyone can decide weeks in advance to use the train so that is just a red herring the train companies throw out there to say they do indeed offer value for money but real world says differently as we all know
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 12:32 PM

I quite agree .
I believe we should nationalise the railways .
They should IMO be a public service not a cash cow for the like s of Richard Branson .
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

16-02-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
And they could have a week in Spain for that!
All inclusive to boot
Let’s go to London for the weekend Rhian , take in a show , stay the night , a museum or two and head home ... let’s leave the car and take the train ....

One phone call to ticket office later .... erm Rhian how about we have a week in Spain instead as I can’t afford a weekend on the train !!!

Worlds gone nuts!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

16-02-2019, 12:34 PM

There is always National Express not as comfortable as the train but a fraction of the price .
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

16-02-2019, 12:39 PM

I must admit to avoiding London , refuse any work I get that takes me there to be honest but if I did have to go then I’d drive , park on the outskirts and take the tube rather than train or fly these days however my daughter as she’s not paying is doing London at least once a week lately and I can only imagine by the end of the year she could have bought a new car for the ticket fee

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top