Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:16 AM

Is that it? Is it safe to ...

... come out of the air raid shelter now?

The fireworks were absolutely dire round here tonight. Loud bangs and shrieks - like the Mór-Ríoghain and the Banshee start Armageddon! They began about 6:30pm - went wild about 8:00pm - and there are still odd ones exploding in the distance. The noise and the smell are dreadful!

My poor cats were scared witless and went to earth behind the sofa. Thing is - they blamed me - hissing and growling at me - which is so unfair. Were I a good deal smaller I'd have been behind the sofa with them - I loathe fireworks.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 03:03 AM

Re: Is that it? Is it safe to ...

Yeah I kind of sympathise ST. I'm not crazy about them either. I look at the display on the harbour on NYE here and think about how those millions could be spent on something better and more permanent. I'm no killjoy. I love a good party and I love to see kids have fun but I find them boring these days. Maybe I'm just getting ?....oldER.. THese days most people are more interested in watching them on their phones..When they are right there!!..Duh.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 07:48 AM

Hi

I love them, especially the huge displays at the Flower Show.

My dogs have always been fine with them.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 09:29 AM

We didn't hear any of them here last night.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 09:39 AM

When I took H out for a walk early evening there were a few displays and I stood waiting for the higher ones to look at. She is unfazed by them, bless her. I can understand many animals being scared though, and respect that.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
... come out of the air raid shelter now?

The fireworks were absolutely dire round here tonight. Loud bangs and shrieks - like the Mór-Ríoghain and the Banshee start Armageddon! They began about 6:30pm - went wild about 8:00pm - and there are still odd ones exploding in the distance. The noise and the smell are dreadful!

My poor cats were scared witless and went to earth behind the sofa. Thing is - they blamed me - hissing and growling at me - which is so unfair. Were I a good deal smaller I'd have been behind the sofa with them - I loathe fireworks.
I fear there will be more tonight and again tomorrow ST - once they start its difficult to know when they will stop! My little dog is very scared of any loud noise, partly because she is blind I think. We sat huddled together on the sofa through the bangs last night, she was trembling and I was talking softly trying to sooth her. It's madness in my view!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 10:06 AM

I love fireworks, the louder the better.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 10:13 AM

I haven’t heard any fireworks here, maybe it was because our local Sainsbury’s have stopped selling them this year?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:35 PM

We have an enormous public display in the park nearby. I usually find some burnt out leftovers in my garden in the morning, and my car gets covered in grey ash.

Last night the skies were lit up non-stop with the most dazzling colours which I admit did look spectactular against the cloudy black sky. It is the horrendous loud bangs I don't like.

My old dog who I lost 2 years ago now, used to be terrified. She would shake and shake and her eyes looked wild with panic, I was always afraid her heart would give out as she was 17.
My present Beddies seemed oblivious after I turned the telly up a bit, they slept right through it, except young Gertie who barked once or twice.

I have a feeling there is another huge display in the next village tonight as well.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 05:06 PM

Not too many here as yet. I expect it is still to come.

Our dog used to get between the wall and the sofa and hide away when fireworks were going off. No amount of comforting and coaxing would bring her out. She was OK with them through most of her life. It was only when she grew old (perhaps 14 onwards) that she really got scared of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top