Join for free
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 10:53 AM

The selfishness of some people

Yesterday morning when I opened the curtains my 5' fencing was swaying in the storm. Particularly bad was one that is alongside the cul de sac it had ripped away from one post . I threw on clothes and boots and fought with the torrential rain and wind to somehow hold on to the panels I tried building large stones at the bottom of a flapping post and panel but it was way to strong for me . I sent up a thought for help for I knew the fencing would fly off hitting parked cars or worse . The next minute a lovely new neighbour ran towards me as the fencing and post snapped in half sending us both flying as it hit us . Somehow we managed to get it back in the garden and lay it flat , now as we tackled the next flapping panel we were soaked through to the skin and could hardly hear each other shouting the young 25 year old ex squaddie who lives attached to us walked out of his garden and walked right past us , I shouted to him that his fencing was loose too , " yeah I know " he shouted as he sauntered off . Neighbour and I struggled for another 20 mins hammering wood and panels as best we could which included selfish neighbours too . When we had done what we could we could not believe this selfish young ex army soldier would just walk past two neighbours in that dire situation .

We were shocked at his selfishness
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Re: The selfishness of some people

On the surface it does seem selfish, Susan, but perhaps he had an appointment somewhere and didn't want to be late?

It is good that your other neighbour helped you though - I hope there was not too much damage done.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:37 AM

Some people,leave it to others,to sort some things out.

I'm not saying in your neighbours case,Susan....

I could rant about a family members neighbours.

Selfish!....selfish..and selfish.....some would and do live in.......muck..surely they see it?...some as I say,don't want to improve the look of the neighbourhood ...they leave it to idiots like me.to clean it up.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Susan, It’s the fact that you asked for help and he denied you that is so mean.
If he was going for an appointment, he could’ve have said, ‘l’m in a rush at the moment but l’ll help you when l get back’. He didn’t, so had no intention of putting himself out.

I find people offer to help you after the occasion, not at the time when you need it. It is all lip service.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Susan, It’s the fact that you asked for help and he denied you that is so mean.
If he was going for an appointment, he could’ve have said, ‘l’m in a rush at the moment but l’ll help you when l get back’. He didn’t, so had no intention of putting himself out.

I find people offer to help you after the occasion, not at the time when you need it. It is all lip service.

Once again I agree with Art.
The man admitted he knew it was his fence too, and should have either stop and helped, or said why he was unable to.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:30 PM

No one has to do anything or say anything,if they choose not too.

If it's his panel,then yes,he should sort it out...but when he chooses too..if it damaged anyone's car,etc...then he would be responsible ..

My family member...has a panel down in his garden..it belongs to a neighbour ,been like it for weeks.

It's up to them,when they replace/repair it....I don't think you can force them to sort it....usually neighbour sort it together.its called communication..but many also don't.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Perhaps he just thought the insurance would pay for any damage and himself couldn't be bothered to get wet!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

03-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Perhaps he just thought the insurance would pay for any damage and himself couldn't be bothered to get wet!

I never thought that a fence panel..would be insured,Carol...I thought it were only walls?

Edit to add...I will be cross with myself if they are...as I have paid to replace quite a few.

Storm damage is usually excluded...I read.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I never thought that a fence panel..would be insured,Carol...I thought it were only walls?

Edit to add...I will be cross with myself if they are...as I have paid to replace quite a few.

It depends on what is included in your cover, Pauline.
You need to read your policy and it should tell you.

When a drunken idiot came off the road into my front garden a while back, I got my wall rebuilt, plus the plants and a small tree replaced.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:53 PM

Hi everyone lovely to hear your replies and wasnt I lucky to have the other lovely neighbour to help in that terrible weather we were so wet it was dripping off our noses and my suede boots waterlogged ( it's all I had )

Selfish neighbour is self employed . 4 years ago just days before they moved in he and friends were standing in front garden and he fell onto our joining 2ft 6" garden wall ( shared) I saw it happen as was in kitchen , they were pushing each other in a play fight I went out and told him hed knocked about 10 bricks down ,( I was not rude or aggressive in any way ) he said he knew and he would fix it and 4 years later it is still put back together as I did it that day a jumbled pile of bricks and he has never even put it right and never will. I have given up waiting . It's a joint wall.

Still I'm grateful to have had the help . Tomorrow my lovely mr fix it is coming at 8 am

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top