Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 02:10 PM

Re: Coon no more

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Not in this case .
The cheese was made by a man called Edward Coon .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_cheese
That is so Muddy, but Dexterous said

"Interesting that nobody has mentioned the origin of the term in question"

and although a piece of cheese, bears a man called coon's name, the answer is that the word does originate from "barracoon"

From wiki
A barracoon (a corruption from Portuguese “Barracão” from Catalan barraca ('hut') through Spanish barracón[1]) is a type of barracks used historically for the temporary confinement of slaves or criminals.

In the Atlantic slave trade, captured individuals were temporarily transported to and held at barracoons along the western coast of the African continent, where they awaited transportation across the Atlantic Ocean. A barracoon simplified the slave trader's job of keeping the prospective slaves alive and in captivity, with the barracks being closely guarded and the captives being fed and allowed exercise.[2][3]

The barracoons varied in size and design, from small enclosures adjacent to the businesses of European traders to larger protected buildings.[4] The amount of time slaves spent inside a barracoon depended primarily on two factors: their health and the availability of slave ships.[4] Many captive slaves died in barracoons, some as a consequence of the hardships they experienced on their journeys and some as a result of their exposure to lethal European diseases (to which they had little immunity).[5]
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
From wiki
A barracoon (a corruption from Portuguese “Barracão” from Catalan barraca ('hut') through Spanish barracón[1]) is a type of barracks used historically for the temporary confinement of slaves or criminals.

In the Atlantic slave trade, captured individuals were temporarily transported to and held at barracoons along the western coast of the African continent, where they awaited transportation across the Atlantic Ocean. A barracoon simplified the slave trader's job of keeping the prospective slaves alive and in captivity, with the barracks being closely guarded and the captives being fed and allowed exercise.[2][3]

The barracoons varied in size and design, from small enclosures adjacent to the businesses of European traders to larger protected buildings.[4] The amount of time slaves spent inside a barracoon depended primarily on two factors: their health and the availability of slave ships.[4] Many captive slaves died in barracoons, some as a consequence of the hardships they experienced on their journeys and some as a result of their exposure to lethal European diseases (to which they had little immunity).[5]
Thanks - read the origin somewhere when this post was set up, but not in so much detail.

It would seem that the army needs to rename their sleeping quarters!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Who are you calling a Duck dood.
Bloody slander that is..

My solicitor will be getting in touch..
He could end up with a large Bill.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
That's so true.....and its worse if you're blonde all those jokes about us and no comeback....tuts!
Heck, I even make jokes about myself being blonde, I don't mind saying "oh, I just had a blonde moment"

Too many easily offended these days. I'm surprised we are even allowed to call it snowflake society considering a snowflake is white

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top