Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 12:39 PM

Alternative Medicines and Treatments.

We all know/heard of, alternative medicine/treatment that fall outside of mainstream health care.

Acupuncture, Reflexology, Herbalists and mums old remedies.

Me… I had acupuncture to treat Tennis elbow…… It were a few courses and two weeks later my tennis elbow had gone.

Now, I wonder was it the acupuncture that worked… or would it have got better in the two weeks without any treatment

Have you or someone you know, ever taken Alternative measures that worked
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 05:32 PM

Re: Alternative Medicines and Treatments.

I had laser & acupuncture for bursitis of the hip. It was a complete waste of money.

One session the therapist left me on my own with the needles stuck in and went off somewhere else.
When the time was up she hadn't returned so I got a bit worried - went to the door & called to the receptionist that my therapist had disappeared. She quickly rounded her up for me & she returned to remove the needles.

I gave her a piece of my mind & never went back. The girl was an idiot - she didn't know how to manoeuvre the therapy table for the patients comfort & as for the laser - I don't think she's used one before. I didn't feel any sensation at all.

They didn't like the Google Review I gave!
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 05:36 PM

The one "alternative treatment" to most definitely steer clear of is homeopathy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0-NalmRSl8
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

27-07-2020, 06:27 PM

I think alternative medicines can have a placebo effect on occasions, but I don't think they should take the place of properly tried and tested meds prescribed by the doctor.

One of our girls went through an alternative medicine phase, it did her no good at all, quite the reverse.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 08:11 PM

I wouldn't bin it .... though I've never tried it.
I certainly wouldn't use it as a substitute for orthodox medicine, especially if it was something serious or life threatening, but otherwise I'd have no qualms using it alongside incase it worked.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
I think alternative medicines can have a placebo effect on occasions, but I don't think they should take the place of properly tried and tested meds prescribed by the doctor.

One of our girls went through an alternative medicine phase, it did her no good at all, quite the reverse.
Yes mainstream health care first without a doubt.

Healthy Mind healthy body... I do believe this.

But how does one train the mind to have positive thoughts/outlook, you know happy thoughts.. waking every morning with a great to be alive day attitude.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 08:17 PM

Hi

Not a great believer in some of them, but a personal story.

I was seriously injured some years ago, after 2 years on the NHS told I would never walk or work again and was compulsory medically discharged from work.

Two years later I was back at work, admittedly part time and on crutches, but all down to Traditional Thai Massage.

A very long, slow and painful process, but it worked.

I continued with it and some years later I was walking without crutches and eventually without a leg brace full time.

I will never be able to run or even jog, but it has given me a great freedom, even if I cannot walk far without a rest.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 08:36 PM

I spent a few hundred quid on 'Professional' doctors, physios and osteopaths back in the eighties to sort out a sciatic nerve problem which had gone on for over six weeks. It wasn't until I spent twenty five quid on a visit to an alternative medicine practitioner did it vanish completely after just one session of massage and acupuncture.........Amazing!

Went back a couple of years later for the same problem.......Same result.....
She was an oldish woman who really knew her stuff....
If they are under forty, don't bother wasting your money, go for the experienced practitioner every time.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 03:16 AM

Absolutely believe n holistic healthcare. I’m a retired nutritionist by trade.
What do you think people used before conventional medicine was invented?
Pharmaceutical drugs are new. Old age medicine isn’t. Just because some people are skeptical doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. It means they don’t understand how it works.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 05:36 AM

I shall certainly use alternative medicine myself as soon as I hear someone in an accident call for their aromatherapist to attend.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top