Join for free
Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:17 AM

Re: Anti Cyclists

So what's wrong with walking or jogging which costs nothing?

Quite a radical idea but how about eating less if you are overweight, or even better eating less and walking more?

Why does everything have to be the responsibility of government and the cost to fall on the taxpayer?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Just adding, we just had notification and voting on re-opening old rail tracks around here, for walkers and cyclists, seems like some routes will be long to coast and places of interest. I hope it goes through!
Agreed.

In addition, I'd like to see an extention to the London based "Boris bikes" initiative across the land. There was one in Manchester a couple of years ago, but am not sure it's still running.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:23 AM

It would be fine if our road system was set up for it. The many small roads here that have to use passing places are a bloody nightmare when cyclists get on them, especially in groups. They refuse to pull in and you can follow them in 2nd gear for ages. You daren't try to pass as there's just not enough room. There's been some hellish arguments about it.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
So what's wrong with walking or jogging which costs nothing?
Nothing wrong with it at all.

However, if one can travel further and see more interesting things during the same hour that one partakes in an exercise based activity (without the need to drive or use public transport to get closer to places of greater interest), then this is a good thing.

A few years ago, before breaking my wrist, I took up cycling. This enable me to find, within 15 mins, places which I'd never have managed to do so if walking and which would never even have crossed my mind to explore by taking a car journey to the proximity first.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

28-07-2020, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
It would be fine if our road system was set up for it. The many small roads here that have to use passing places are a bloody nightmare when cyclists get on them, especially in groups. They refuse to pull in and you can follow them in 2nd gear for ages. You daren't try to pass as there's just not enough room. There's been some hellish arguments about it.
Agreed to a point. However, there are plenty of roads/tracks which either are appropriate, or which could be changed.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:26 AM

Cycling often isn't a comfortable way of getting around and maybe some money needs putting into that. The unevenness at the sides of roads cyclists have to ride on can be an off-putter.

I've certainly had enough of potholes and drain holes after a few miles of riding on the road. Can't always pull out around them because of cars overtaking right where a dip in the road surface is.

If a cycle lane is only going to consist of is a white line painted at the sides of existing roads where cyclists would ride anyway ..and no work has been done to improve the surface there, then I don't think this would encourage cycling.

I've got a cast iron bum these days but new cyclists are certainly going to feel bashed about and put off riding, let alone fear of the motor traffic.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:36 AM

You see what has narked me for a good few years is this, people moan about the rush hour commute into the City, the parking problems and cost, the congestion charges, the pollution etc, etc. For as long as I can remember I've always said, if I was unfortunate to have to work in the City, I would have driven to a point in some leafy suburb say five miles away from the epicentre, parked up, got out a fold up bike, then cycled the remaining distance, nothing over the decades has changed in this respect, this philosophy just gets reintroduced periodically to suit a situation at any given time, and, I apologise hypothetically if it were your house my car was parked outside on a daily basis.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Making everyone take a test, need a licence and pay road tax would be a brilliant way to get people out on their bikes realspeed....

We should all write to our MP's, and while we're at it we could mention about the amount of walkers, runners, horse riders, and climbers taking up space in the country. We could tax them as well and use the money to tarmac the tracks and bridleways.

It's quite one thing to tax people who are out keeping fit and not placing a burden on the NHS or polluting their environment, but the worst thing is; We are begging the government to levy taxes on everything and that's just what they want....

Why does everything have to come with a cost? You'll have to be licenced and pay to walk on the pavement soon, or walk on the beach, and even the air that we breathe......Flipping madness!
I agree Foxy, just a matter of time before the "Dog Walk Tax" is levied.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

28-07-2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You see what has narked me for a good few years is this, people moan about the rush hour commute into the City, the parking problems and cost, the congestion charges, the pollution etc, etc. For as long as I can remember I've always said, if I was unfortunate to have to work in the City, I would have driven to a point in some leafy suburb say five miles away from the epicentre, parked up, got out a fold up bike, then cycled the remaining distance, nothing over the decades has changed in this respect, this philosophy just gets reintroduced periodically to suit a situation at any given time, and, I apologise hypothetically if it were your house my car was parked outside on a daily basis.
There are plenty of people in London who drive their large cars closer to a a tube station. One case that particularly fascinated me was my sister's neighbour who would drive their 50k 4by4 offroader (this is obviously necessary kit for those living in a city) around 200 yards from their house, park up and walk the remaining half mile to catch the tube.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

28-07-2020, 10:46 AM

That's Bonkers Dex, some sort of OCD???

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top