Join for free
Page 4 of 19 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:12 AM

Re: Anti Cyclists

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
I think cyclists should have insurances…should they pass a test, maybe a theory test that includes the highway code.

Maybe an enforced speed reduction on all city roads of 20 mph might attract more cyclists due to safety issues.
There is an argument for making all drivers ride a bike (perhaps even virtually) as part of their test so they are aware of what it "feels like" to cycle on a main road. They might then be less likely to endanger cyclists, in addition to understanding why a cyclist might have to swerve out due to an obstacle (such as a drain grid), and also deter them from parking in cycle lanes.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The main complaints seem to come from those who would never be seen dead on a bicycle.....But want to spoil the fun of those that do......Errrrr... Perhaps I should have worded that differently.....
Maybe put it this way. Some people have spent so long being inactive that they wouldn't be able to cycle and don't want to be seen trying.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What do the Anti Cyclists think about the new Government Initiative to get people moving and healthier, and do you think Boris's £50.00 Lycra allowance is a good idea?
A £50 allowance towards an electric bike would be better up here. In contrast to London and such places which are flat, I'm tucked up on the top of the Pennines where there's no such thing as a level road, it's all hills. Going up some of them in a car is bad enough but on a bike? I'm likely to have a coronary.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Just adding, we just had notification and voting on re-opening old rail tracks around here, for walkers and cyclists, seems like some routes will be long to coast and places of interest. I hope it goes through!

We had lots of these treks done around here, great idea.. access to out of the way places.

Sadly these paths through the forestry and such attract some unsavoury characters.... With reports of muggings, assaults makes you think twice
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Interesting article here.
Very good piece Dex, and a few things I hadn't thought of....Thanks.
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

28-07-2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Why?...
I don't know why, but possibly one way to make much needed money after the mess the German occupation had made of the place.

I think it was a good idea and they should have to have licences herein the UK. Cyclist's should also have to take a test before being allowed out on the highway, have insurance and wear high-viz jackets and helmets, and obey the rules of the road like car drivers. Some of the cyclists around here are complete idiots, they ride up to four abreast, and don't abide by the rules, some even cycle down one way streets the wrong way.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
I think cyclists should have insurances…should they pass a test, maybe a theory test that includes the highway code.

Maybe an enforced speed reduction on all city roads of 20 mph might attract more cyclists due to safety issues.
Good point Marciniak, however; What about off road cyclists? And most cyclists couldn't even ride at 20mph. And what good is insurance? If a cyclist hit anyone they would come of worst, and will probably avoid running into stuff based on that fact. Most of the accidents that I'm aware of are usually caused by the motorist/pedestrian....You should read Dex's link.....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:30 AM

Agreed to a point. However, there are plenty of roads/tracks which either are appropriate, or which could be changed.
In some places maybe BUT these are the roads I have to use daily. Not a place for bikes at all.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:31 AM

It's like anything else, some folks get on a bike and dawdle along, Ok, as far as fitness goes the joints are moving but, very few calories will be burnt and of light impact on the cardiovascular system, the you get the predominantly Geezers who blast along head down, burning calories like there is no tomorrow but defeating one of the objectives of Cycling like taking in the scenery and surroundings, that can't be pleasurable, probably, just like running, to have any physical benefit you should be somewhere in the middle, slightly physically uncomfortable but, fully aware of the freedom and surroundings, bit like Foxy, on an eight miler.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-07-2020, 11:31 AM

There is an argument for making all drivers ride a bike (perhaps even virtually) as part of their test so they are aware of what it "feels like" to cycle on a main road. They might then be less likely to endanger cyclists, in addition to understanding why a cyclist might have to swerve out due to an obstacle (such as a drain grid), and also deter them from parking in cycle lanes.
That's a brilliant idea Dex.....

Page 4 of 19 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top