Join for free
Page 5 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

28-07-2020, 11:34 AM

Re: Anti Cyclists

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good point Marciniak, however; What about off road cyclists? And most cyclists couldn't even ride at 20mph. And what good is insurance? If a cyclist hit anyone they would come of worst, and will probably avoid running into stuff based on that fact. Most of the accidents that I'm aware of are usually caused by the motorist/pedestrian....You should read Dex's link.....
It is more often than not the cyclists who put themselves in danger.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
it's like anything else, some folks get on a bike and dawdle along, ok, as far as fitness goes the joints are moving but, very few calories will be burnt and of light impact on the cardiovascular system, the you get the predominantly geezers who blast along head down, burning calories like there is no tomorrow but defeating one of the objectives of cycling like taking in the scenery and surroundings, that can't be pleasurable, probably, just like running, to have any physical benefit you should be somewhere in the middle, slightly physically uncomfortable but, fully aware of the freedom and surroundings, bit like foxy, on an eight miler.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
It is more often than not the cyclists who put themselves in danger.
You should read Dextrous's link Monkey Puzzle, it explains the reasons why Tests, Tax and licences are not a good idea...

It explains it a lot better than I could....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-07-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
In some places maybe BUT these are the roads I have to use daily. Not a place for bikes at all.

Those roads look perfect for cycling Roxy......Cows and one motor a day.......Cycling heaven!....And the hills...... Awesome!
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
There is an argument for making all drivers ride a bike (perhaps even virtually) as part of their test so they are aware of what it "feels like" to cycle on a main road. They might then be less likely to endanger cyclists, in addition to understanding why a cyclist might have to swerve out due to an obstacle (such as a drain grid), and also deter them from parking in cycle lanes.
Hi Dextrous.... I actually did ride a bike, and it wasn't that long ago, probably did 30 miles each week for leisure, mostly weekends with my brother.

I agree with what you say.... But would add cyclists who drive cars, have a much better understanding of traffic than cyclists who don't drive...Well most Imo.

Experience of both is best (needed)
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

28-07-2020, 11:50 AM

You should read Dextrous's link Monkey Puzzle, it explains the reasons why Tests, Tax and licences are not a good idea...

It explains it a lot better than I could....
The link is nonsense, imo.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-07-2020, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
The link is nonsense, imo.
Fair enough MP, you're obviously not a cyclist then?
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 12:11 PM

Good point Marciniak, however; What about off road cyclists? And most cyclists couldn't even ride at 20mph. And what good is insurance? If a cyclist hit anyone they would come of worst, and will probably avoid running into stuff based on that fact. Most of the accidents that I'm aware of are usually caused by the motorist/pedestrian....You should read Dex's link.....

No... a 20 mph speed limit for all traffic.

Mind here we get groups from clubs out early Sunday morning, they go a lot faster than 20 mph.

Insurance.. incase a cyclists hits a pedestrian, goes into the back of a car, granted damage would mostly be minimal... mind I can think of a few, if they were hit by an insured cyclist on a crossing.

They wouldn't be able to walk for 6 months, plus the psychological damage...
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

28-07-2020, 12:26 PM

Fair enough MP, you're obviously not a cyclist then?
I was in my youth, I certainly obeyed the rules of the road, as I would have expected my children to do do too, or they would have been in BIG TROUBLE.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 12:28 PM

I just wish they would find a way to keep the damn cyclists off the pavements!

Page 5 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top