Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

30-07-2020, 11:38 AM

Re: E.l.m.

Unless an elderly person is senile, there is no reason why they shouldn't keep up with the times, like paying for goods with a card or shopping on-line.

I don't think age should be used as an excuse for not being able to do simple things like that.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
Unless an elderly person is senile, there is no reason why they shouldn't keep up with the times, like paying for goods with a card or shopping on-line.

I don't think age should be used as an excuse for not being able to do simple things like that.
My husband is 89 and is not senile, thank goodness. However, he is not interested in computers, mobile 'phones or anything of that ilk; he doesn't even know how to use an ATM, or want to know. He doesn't use his age as an excuse - he does loads of other things that do interest him. Why should he 'keep up with the times' if he doesn't want to do so? He's survived for 89 years by doing his own thing and hopefully he will survive a good few more!
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

30-07-2020, 11:59 AM

Age should never be used as an excuse, imo.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 12:05 PM

It's not so much the progress, as the way it's been thrust upon us.....Whether we like it or not.....
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's not so much the progress, as the way it's been thrust upon us.....Whether we like it or not.....
I know,....My mattress has become very lumpy with all the £50 notes I have hidden under it...will I live long enough to spend it all I ask Myself,
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 12:18 PM

Serious question.

What about those of us (I'm pretty sure that I'm not unique) who don't WANT to keep up with the times.

I'll use some of my own predictions to illustrate my point. Take wrist watches. I could easily buy and make full use of a smart watch. But I don't want to. Same with digital watches - not for me. I'm strictly analogue. Analogue chronograph? Nah. I like a simple tells the time old turnip. OK it's an Omega but that's just 'cos when my last thing gave up the ghost I liked the look of it. The only concession to modernity that I made was that it's battery powered but that's because it was cheaper!

Then our television. Smart it isn't. Not because I couldn't navigate around the various features but I just don't WANT an all singing all dancing idiot box that does as it's (literally) told.

So likewise some people don't want to change themselves to fit the world and it's far from restricted to those of us who are long in the tooth.

Why should we?

OK I can well understand that contactless payment is an exceptionally good move during this pandemic but many folk don't want to use contactless payment and in a good number of cases for very good reasons least of all being an "age related window licker".
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
My husband is 89 and is not senile, thank goodness. However, he is not interested in computers, mobile 'phones or anything of that ilk; he doesn't even know how to use an ATM, or want to know. He doesn't use his age as an excuse - he does loads of other things that do interest him. Why should he 'keep up with the times' if he doesn't want to do so? He's survived for 89 years by doing his own thing and hopefully he will survive a good few more!
Bloody right too.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 12:33 PM

I refer you to my signature below.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 12:36 PM

Age should never be used as an excuse, imo.
Why do we need an excuse Monkeypuzzle??
Its just that we dont believe in living on credit !!
lts not in our DNA to do this?
You may say use a debit card? But unfortunately we cant see how
much we have spent and so fear losing control of our spending??
Something which seems to be totally absent in present ray society??
I am in total agreement with Margeret!!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My bank card doesn't do contactless, so I have to touch the card reader anyway, then push the buttons. Not a lot different to handing cash over really.

I pay at the pump for my diesel but I don't touch the key pad with my finger. I use the tip of my car key to punch in my number.. You could do the same at the checkouts.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top