Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 05:19 AM

Re: Internet Playing up

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
A lot of these electronic gizmos have a little rechargeable battery concealed somewhere deep inside the circuit board Bruce. It is used to keep the basic information while the unit is switched off. It's usually a little button cell that gets charged each time the unit is on, but after several years they start to fail and each time you switch on your stuff you have to retune and give it a quick charge that it will not hold for very long, but long enough for the main supply to take over....

I had a telly that every time we turned it on, we had to retune all the programmes back in...It might be worth a look...
That is good advice but not the problem in this case it used a PROM (programmable read-only memory) chip which doesn't require power to retain its information.

However my Topfield PVR had such a cell which was not mentioned in any of its literature and I only found it when I opened the case.

I suspect that it was overheating but that doesn't appear to be the case as I run it on top of three fan base designed fr laptops but that didn't cure the problem. I am reasonably confident that it is just old and failing remembering that it has been on permanently for about a decade - 87,600 hours It is never turned off.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is good advice but not the problem in this case it used a PROM (programmable read-only memory) chip which doesn't require power to retain its information.

However my Topfield PVR had such a cell which was not mentioned in any of its literature and I only found it when I opened the case.

I suspect that it was overheating but that doesn't appear to be the case as I run it on top of three fan base designed fr laptops but that didn't cure the problem. I am reasonably confident that it is just old and failing remembering that it has been on permanently for about a decade - 87,600 hours It is never turned off.
It sounds like it doesn't owe you anything Bruce.
I never thought about using a 'Memory Stick' kind of thing in such a way to retain essential memory inside a unit Bruce, but I can see how it would be more suitable than using a button cell. Looks like you are going to have to fork out for a new one, I suppose nothing lasts forever, even us.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I reckon you've solved the ( problem??) OGF !!
Experience over tech knowledge eh!!

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
Cheers Donkeyman, it's always worth looking for the little button cell if memory is becoming a problem...I think mine ran out some years ago....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2020, 11:11 AM

It was all excitement today as I located the VOIP box conveniently located in a packet labelled "VOIP Phone Adapter". As you can see it is a well out of date model but it works.

Got it out and found that I had forgotten my log in password for the device because I hadn't written it down on the leaflet! Doh!

Anyway reset it back to factory defaults and reentered all the necessary guff

Plugged it in to the network and now I have the land line that I don't answer back in service. Exciting stuff eh?

You might notice that the year is somewhat behind but I haven't worked out how to correct that, month, day, hour and minutes are easy but year eludes me at the moment.

I might give the old modem a second chance this week just ot prove it one way or the other otherwise my system is all go once again.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020688.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	13431   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020689.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	13432   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020690.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	13433   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020692.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	13434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.03_20h02m05s_002_.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	13435  

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

03-08-2020, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It sounds like it doesn't owe you anything Bruce.
I never thought about using a 'Memory Stick' kind of thing in such a way to retain essential memory inside a unit Bruce, but I can see how it would be more suitable than using a button cell. Looks like you are going to have to fork out for a new one, I suppose nothing lasts forever, even us.....
Its not a memory stick but a chip, they have been around for years (I can remember them in the 1980s). I have a feeling it is actually called an EEPROM because you can change the details in it but it doesn't need continuous power to retain its memory.

The failure symptoms ruled out it being a battery failure because nothing needed re entering it was just a matter of turning the device off and on. ie It was locked up rather than forgotten what it was supposed to be remembering.

The router that replaced it has been sitting unused in its box for over a year yet when plugged in it still had all the information (set up and passwords) I had pre programmed it with for just this emergency. No battery in that either.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top