Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 04:51 PM

Do you REALLY get value from your Mobile Phone??

I have a galaxy Note 8, which I bought 2nd hand, and it serves only one purpose, for me.

That purpose is for me to get in touch with friends or family in the event of an old age problem, medical or whatever.

It's left in one room, charging or switched off, when I'm at home.

It's in a pocket when I'm out.

I see that some mobiles are selling, in 2nd hand shops, for 600 pounds, or more.

I don't see the value for money.

Some of my family get calls, after work, on holiday, or whatever, from their employers.

Why would they want that?

A 21st Century mind bender!

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 05:36 PM

Re: Do you REALLY get value from your Mobile Phone??

I think it's about time I got a smartphone

I bought a burger in McD last week, went to sit down, not allowed, seats are only for customers with mobiles.

I need to contact my GP surgery for repeat prescriptions, I can't visit in person, I can't phone them, I can't email them, I have to download the APP! FFS.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 07:50 PM

I use my mobile phone all the time. When I'm not calling folk or surfing the web during the day, (I do this at night too after I've switched the PC off) it's being used for my business as it has cable calculating Apps as well as a diary and scheduler app installed, both of which link to my Outlook email program on my PC.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I think it's about time I got a smartphone

I bought a burger in McD last week, went to sit down, not allowed, seats are only for customers with mobiles.

I need to contact my GP surgery for repeat prescriptions, I can't visit in person, I can't phone them, I can't email them, I have to download the APP! FFS.
Don't do it d00d, we need to stand together as a last stand against technology being 'Thrust' upon us.....
Or are we too late......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I have a galaxy Note 8, which I bought 2nd hand, and it serves only one purpose, for me.

That purpose is for me to get in touch with friends or family in the event of an old age problem, medical or whatever.

It's left in one room, charging or switched off, when I'm at home.

It's in a pocket when I'm out.

I see that some mobiles are selling, in 2nd hand shops, for 600 pounds, or more.

I don't see the value for money.

Some of my family get calls, after work, on holiday, or whatever, from their employers.

Why would they want that?

A 21st Century mind bender!

Couldn't agree more, Ted.

If I had £600 quid to spare, I wouldn't even consider spending it on a mobile that price.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 10:41 PM

It's horses for courses - my better half has a pricey top-of-the-range (ish) Samsung BUT she uses it for the camera (as well as her "real" cameras) as well as loads of other stuff.
Whereas I hardly use mine - okay, I will have a nosey on various web sites when I have a minute unfilled but the screen size isn't exactly conducive to a great browsing experience so mine's an old (well 2 years old) Nokia smartphone.
Son's phone is better than mine but again, he uses it far more and will continue that trend into his teenage years.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It's horses for courses - my better half has a pricey top-of-the-range (ish) Samsung BUT she uses it for the camera (as well as her "real" cameras) as well as loads of other stuff.
Whereas I hardly use mine - okay, I will have a nosey on various web sites when I have a minute unfilled but the screen size isn't exactly conducive to a great browsing experience so mine's an old (well 2 years old) Nokia smartphone.
Son's phone is better than mine but again, he uses it far more and will continue that trend into his teenage years.

Yes, you're probably right about 'horses for courses' Zaphod.

Like Judd said as well, he uses his for all sorts of things too, but for someone who only needs one for calls and texts, it is daft to pay the earth for something with dozens of gadgets that would never be needed.
Sometimes I wonder if phones are some kind of mini status symbol to some folks.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 11:02 PM

Mine costs me twelve quid a month which includes all calls and texts and at the end of it, the phone is mine. I also use it for smart scan shopping which is a real time saver. My employer would not catch me on holiday because I wouldn't answer it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 02:21 AM

I wouldn't be without my Huawei phone, it only cost $220 (halve for pounds) It does almost everything my Samsung S7 did but at half the cost.

My ISP charges $10 for 1Gb of data and unlimited calls and texts, personally I pay $25 a month for 30Gb of data and unlimited calls and texts both local and overseas. I often chat with relatives in the UK , the US and Asia for hours, when you think how much a three minute overseas call used to cost it is a bargain. (Yes I know I could use WhatsApp).

It also gets used as a Wifi hotspot as well as for all the usual things such as email, browsing, GPS, camera etc.

Definitely real value for money.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Don't do it d00d, we need to stand together as a last stand against technology being 'Thrust' upon us.....
Or are we too late......
We are too late.

Actually I love tech, I'm good with it, but a mobile is/was, up until now, a thing I don't need to carry around wherever I go. I do my browsing and communications at home. If & when I start carrying a mobile it will be a good one and I will embrace it. (I'm holding out till phone cameras improve, they're pretty good at the moment, there's no denying it).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top