Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 12:09 AM

Re: Why is it ?

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I'm sitting here reading this and thinking .... aside from the fact that the tastiest yummiest food is usually bad for us .... or whether we leave it too late to change bad lifestyle habits or vices (like smoking) ... it's sad to end up trying to eke out our existence to live another day, precious as we might think that day is.

Whatever you do ... one day it is a certainty that you will die.
Precisely ! At my age, I am all too aware that every day could be my last. I am the last of my old group of buddies. I have watched as various friends seemed fine in the morning, and dead before dark. The very last thing I'd want is to end up in a nursing home and forced to eat that slop which they serve to "old folks".

Thus, I treat every day as my last and eat what I choose. This past Sunday, while watching professional American football, I made a large, sausage, mushroom and pepperoni pizza with lots and lots of mozzarella cheese. Yum.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Bakerman, l always say that about food. All the nicest stuff is bad for you..... but l still eat it (in moderation) and take my chances. I can’t give up proper block butter ever!
Like you say, if it shortens your life, Tough, l haven’t done so badly health wise up to now.

My cholesterol at 5.9 isn’t good but the doctor tells me l have good cholesterol. He said, because my high cholesterol is hereditary (like his) reducing fats will really not make it lower.
He did edge onto me to consider taking statins but l refused. I have heard too many horror stories about those.

Some people don’t eat the foods that we like but they don’t mind stuffing themselves with low fat, chemical and additive ridden food which is worse (I think)
Some smoke and fags are lethal to your health.

You need fat to cushion your major organs like your brain and your heart.

Like Barry says, all things in moderation.
Art I love butter too my sons have been known to remark - are you having some toast with your lurpak Mum?
I am on the high side of cholesterol too but my doctor says because I exercise it sort of balances out the risk factor .

Having said that I have just this very day ventured out with a friend to a lovely Chinese restaurant and have NOT followed my own advice re small portions . ( or rather I did have small portions but lots of them !)
Feeling very full now .
Will have to walk a long way tomorrow .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Swimmy, Have you had to give up smoking with your recent heart scare?
Hi

I gave up some time ago Art.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 10:44 AM

This is turning out to be an interesting thread Bakerman..

However, lets not forget the primary reason why we eat.
In order to be an efficient and healthy body we need to consume Carbs, Fats, Proteins, Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acids and a host of other things to provide energy, brain function, the smooth running of all of it's components and help to prevent illnesses (like covid) and to put up some resistance in fighting them off to ensure a speedy recovery when you do catch something....

To this end I place no restrictions on the things I eat; If it's edible, I will consider it. I once read an article by an old Chinese man (102 I think, what could be a better example) He recommended that we eat at least 22 things each day in order to get a full balance of the things our bodies need.
I have never forgotten this, and try to do it every day.....
It's not just about the longevity of life, but the quality!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
This is turning out to be an interesting thread Bakerman..

However, lets not forget the primary reason why we eat.
In order to be an efficient and healthy body we need to consume Carbs, Fats, Proteins, Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acids and a host of other things to provide energy, brain function, the smooth running of all of it's components and help to prevent illnesses (like covid) and to put up some resistance in fighting them off to ensure a speedy recovery when you do catch something....

To this end I place no restrictions on the things I eat; If it's edible, I will consider it. I once read an article by an old Chinese man (102 I think, what could be a better example) He recommended that we eat at least 22 things each day in order to get a full balance of the things our bodies need.
I have never forgotten this, and try to do it every day.....
It's not just about the longevity of life, but the quality!
What the Chinese man said is probably the same as we would call a balanced diet... so he was right.
We all need carbohydrates for energy but, unless we are very active, some of us eat too much. Many fruit and veg provide essential minerals & vitamins & if you eat meat & fish it is good for you but shouldn't be the biggest portion of your meal!
Apart from spices & seasoning, I challenge everybody to write down everything you eat during the day ( don't forget to include the fruit if you have a teacake) & tot up how many things you eat. It will soon show whether you have had a balanced diet that day.
I enjoy food with lots of colour, so if it isn't colourful I tend to add lots of vegetables or fruits... and they actually improve the flavour of the meal!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
What the Chinese man said is probably the same as we would call a balanced diet... so he was right.
We all need carbohydrates for energy but, unless we are very active, some of us eat too much. Many fruit and veg provide essential minerals & vitamins & if you eat meat & fish it is good for you but shouldn't be the biggest portion of your meal!
Apart from spices & seasoning, I challenge everybody to write down everything you eat during the day ( don't forget to include the fruit if you have a teacake) & tot up how many things you eat. It will soon show whether you have had a balanced diet that day.
I enjoy food with lots of colour, so if it isn't colourful I tend to add lots of vegetables or fruits... and they actually improve the flavour of the meal!
That's a good idea to write down all the different things you eat in a day Twink, just to see if you even make it to twenty two....

When I was running marathons and long distance my meal would contain a large proportion of carbs (Spuds or Pasta, never been a big rice fan though) and even today it has remained virtually the same, except I try to get a good assortment of veg, and lots of it. Although I couldn't do without meat, I don't like a lot, and definitely no fat...I'm a proper 'Jack Sprat'....

Unfortunately though, apart from downloading an app (Apple) each day, I hardly eat any fruit....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's a good idea to write down all the different things you eat in a day Twink, just to see if you even make it to twenty two....

When I was running marathons and long distance my meal would contain a large proportion of carbs (Spuds or Pasta, never been a big rice fan though) and even today it has remained virtually the same, except I try to get a good assortment of veg, and lots of it. Although I couldn't do without meat, I don't like a lot, and definitely no fat...I'm a proper 'Jack Sprat'....

Unfortunately though, apart from downloading an app (Apple) each day, I hardly eat any fruit....
When I was a child, fruit was always a treat that I could have between meals, but when I became a type 1 diabetic I tended to eat less fruit as I needed to work out it's carbohydrate value & adjust my insulin.

We often think that some fruits are veg ( like tomatoes) & if you like a slice of fruit cake the currants and sultanas are fruit. I occasionally like a piece of fruit, but I don't eat a lot...mainly because they tend to be sold in packs these days so I end up giving them to the birds rather than waste them.
I never used to like rice, thought it was boring food, but I now really enjoy risottos like salmon & watercress, prawn & creamed cheese & chicken & porcini mushroom... which are very tasty and only need one pan!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I'm sitting here reading this and thinking .... aside from the fact that the tastiest yummiest food is usually bad for us .... or whether we leave it too late to change bad lifestyle habits or vices (like smoking) ... it's sad to end up trying to eke out our existence to live another day, precious as we might think that day is.

Whatever you do ... one day it is a certainty that you will die.
I agree with you Morti. It's not just the food we enjoy that's bad for us, it's everything we enjoy, fatty foods, sweets, sugar, salt, smoking, drinking and let's not forget unprotected sex.
How often do we think to ourselves 'Ooh, I could murder a lettuce leaf'?

Unless we know the day we will die, how do we know that eating certain foods has shortened our life? I wonder how many people have been run over having just left the Gym?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-10-2020, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree with you Morti. It's not just the food we enjoy that's bad for us, it's everything we enjoy, fatty foods, sweets, sugar, salt, smoking, drinking and let's not forget unprotected sex.
How often do we think to ourselves 'Ooh, I could murder a lettuce leaf'?

Unless we know the day we will die, how do we know that eating certain foods has shortened our life? I wonder how many people have been run over having just left the Gym?

Ooh, I could murder a lettuce leaf'?...... Never Longdogs...

And what about the ladies on the Titanic who turned away the dessert trolly on that fateful night.....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
?...... It's not just the food we enjoy that's bad for us, it's everything we enjoy, fatty foods, sweets, sugar, salt, smoking, drinking and let's not forget unprotected sex......

That is true you could get run over .
However look about you .
Do you see how many morbidly obese people there are about ?
And these are young people .
Why ?
Because morbidly obese people don’t make old bones .
Have you considered the rising rates of diabetes?
It’s practically an epidemic .
And type 2 can be cured by a changed of diet for 12 weeks .
Anyone still smoking needs their head examined .
It will kill you expensively .
Doesn’t do anyone living with you any good either .
( not to mention that -yes -smokers you do smell )
All three of the above lead to heart disease.
It’s on the rise in the U.K.
Heart failure doesn't help quality of life .

I really don’t see how unprotected sex shortens your life - just don’t have sex with anyone who might have HIV .
In short be moderate in all things .

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top