Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 02:11 AM

A year ago this month

A year ago this month, nobody heard of Covid-19. According to most sources, the 1st case did not appear until Nov 17th 2019.

For a long time people were talking about Covid-19 will have run its course by the end of this year. Well, obviously that is not going to happen. Covid-19 is with us to stay. This is the new normal.

So, in my opinion we must re-invent a new style of culture.
Certainly we must continue to wear a mask whenever we are in public. Dining/drinking indoors is likely to be very hazardous for a very long time. However, I believe that dining al fresco is probably safe provided we don't sit shoulder to shoulder with others. A semi-windy day offers an excellent opportunity to dine with family/friends.

Obviously, hugging, kissing loved ones is, for the foreseeable future... out. The same for shaking hands. (God, how I hate bumping fists.)

What about face-to-face visits with family/friends? Well, I believe that the same applies here as I mentioned above.
I see no problem with visitations on your front/back porch/patio. (with masks, of course). Actually seeing the people you care about is very much better than phone conversations. We get so much info from body language.

Everyone knows that our various countries economies have taken a huge hit. Not everyone can afford to spend lavishly, but for those of us who can do so, I recommend that we buy goods/services that are produced in our own countries. Provided enough people do so, even small purchases help our countries economies.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 05:48 AM

Re: A year ago this month

Gloomy outlook, Bakerman, but probably very true! I agree with you about buying 'in house' goods and have always tried to do that - more especially with food.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 08:31 AM

It's certainly something we're going have to live with, I don't think it's going anywhere soon...
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 08:41 AM

I can remember back in January passing the staycity hotel in York after we’d been shopping and saw two paramedics in full hazmat suits going in there, I think it was the first reported case in the uk....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 09:59 AM

Yes my daughter is sure she had covid around 15th December she actually rang her doctor saying she felt a huge weight on her chest and was unable to breath properly she was in bed 3/4 days and a persistent cough . All very odd because she is a school teacher in a small county town and her children didnt get it , although her husband did and was unwell for a number of days . Yet she had not travelled outside her county. A few friends also were very unwell for days and days almost knocked off their feet and dreadful chests and coughing . Of course it could have been a similar virus .

I just dont know what to think anymore . Life has changed for everyone. A virus like this just doesn't evaporate away . Who would have thought we would live through a plague .

What is the answer or is there one I dont know anymore
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2020, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Gloomy outlook, Bakerman, but probably very true! I agree with you about buying 'in house' goods and have always tried to do that - more especially with food.

Gloomy ? Well, perhaps. But, I think of it as looking for the silver lining in a dark cloud.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top