Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 02:32 PM

Re: Corona Virus Shielding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54477618

The largest study of coronavirus, by Imperial College London, has also reported their analysis of 175,000 people, with the last samples taken on Monday.

Across England, it says cases are continuing to increase, but not as aggressively as at the beginning of September.

But this masks a stark regional picture - with cases doubling around twice as fast in the North West, Yorkshire and the West Midlands compared to the whole of England.

It also shows there has been an eight-fold increase in cases in people over 65 as the epidemic surge that started in younger age groups bleeds into the rest of the population.

The Covid Symptom Study app - which uses data from 4 million people and 12,000 swab tests - estimates 21,903 people are developing Covid symptoms every day across the UK. That is 1,000-a-day more than a week ago.

The rise in cases and people being admitted to hospital is causing mounting political concern.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 04:42 PM

Hi

I have had a letter today inviting me to take part in the survey.

I am now identified as being high risk.

I have signed up for it.

I have also volunteered to be a guinea pig for the vaccination trials.

They need high risk people to take part.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 07:12 PM

I have just recently heard of this survey - good for you on agreeing to participate, SF.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 08:05 PM

Have to admit I am staying around the house more than ever so, semi self isolating
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
The first lockdown did work. It brought the numbers down. Now that the country is opening up again the numbers are rising. The only answer seems to be to get a vaccine.
You've hit the nail on the head there ... until there's a vaccine it's pretty much like playing a game of tag with the virus.
We lockdown ... it goes into remission .... we venture back out .... it pops back up again.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have had a letter today inviting me to take part in the survey.

I am now identified as being high risk.

I have signed up for it.

I have also volunteered to be a guinea pig for the vaccination trials.

They need high risk people to take part.
Good for you Swims .... not everyone would want to volunteer as guinea pig.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You've hit the nail on the head there ... until there's a vaccine it's pretty much like playing a game of tag with the virus.
We lockdown ... it goes into remission .... we venture back out .... it pops back up again.

It always will Morty, until enough people have been infected and broken the link...Incidentally, a vaccine won't prevent you from catching the virus, but will improve your chances of surviving it.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

09-10-2020, 09:05 PM

Odd really how those top scientists are now calling for herd immunity as that's what Boris wanted to do back in March.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

It always will Morty, until enough people have been infected and broken the link...Incidentally, a vaccine won't prevent you from catching the virus, but will improve your chances of surviving it.
Are you sure of that OGF ??

Donkeyman! 😷😷
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Are you sure of that OGF ??

Donkeyman! 😷😷
All previous vaccines have only provided a defence against a virus, so I can't see why this vaccine for covid will be any different. A vaccine is not a silver bullet donkeyman.
I had the mumps and whooping cough vaccine when I was young... I caught both, but have lived to tell the tale. Perhaps things might have been different if I hadn't had the vaccines...

A vaccine provides the same protection as catching the virus and surviving does, but without the risk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine

A Summary from the above....

Limitations to their effectiveness, nevertheless, exist.[18] Sometimes, protection fails because of vaccine-related failure such as failures in vaccine attenuation, vaccination regimes or administration or host-related failure due to host's immune system simply does not respond adequately or at all. Lack of response commonly results from genetics, immune status, age, health or nutritional status.[19] It also might fail for genetic reasons if the host's immune system includes no strains of B cells that can generate antibodies suited to reacting effectively and binding to the antigens associated with the pathogen.

Even if the host does develop antibodies, protection might not be adequate; immunity might develop too slowly to be effective in time, the antibodies might not disable the pathogen completely, or there might be multiple strains of the pathogen, not all of which are equally susceptible to the immune reaction. However, even a partial, late, or weak immunity, such as a one resulting from cross-immunity to a strain other than the target strain, may mitigate an infection, resulting in a lower mortality rate, lower morbidity, and faster recovery.[citation needed]

Adjuvants commonly are used to boost immune response, particularly for older people (50–75 years and up), whose immune response to a simple vaccine may have weakened.[20]

The efficacy or performance of the vaccine is dependent on a number of factors:

the disease itself (for some diseases vaccination performs better than for others)
the strain of vaccine (some vaccines are specific to, or at least most effective against, particular strains of the disease)[21]
whether the vaccination schedule has been properly observed.
idiosyncratic response to vaccination; some individuals are "non-responders" to certain vaccines, meaning that they do not generate antibodies even after being vaccinated correctly.
assorted factors such as ethnicity, age, or genetic predisposition.
If a vaccinated individual does develop the disease vaccinated against (breakthrough infection), the disease is likely to be less virulent than in unvaccinated victims.[22]

The following are important considerations in the effectiveness of a vaccination program:[23]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top